Record select in multi instrument

I’m new to Cubase Pro 8,and I’m trying to figure out how to record arm just one track at a time when you have a multi instrument like Kontakt with say 8 channels.
I have the 8 channels of Kontakt in a folder,when I select record,Kontakt midi channel 1. it enables ALL 8 midi channels
I can Command+option click to disable all the record enabled tracks, then option click record to select just 1 midi track (I’m on a mac BTW),Is there a way (preference) or some setting to make it so, that when I select 1 track,it doesn’t record arm all tracks for that multi instance of Kontakt? or any other multi instrument for that matter
Also is there a way to select 1 automation lane in a multi instrument with out having all lanes open for all 8 channels
I’m a long time PT HD user, so it is a bit frustrating at times,but,there are so many great things about Cubase,I really want to get it down
Cheers
Tommy

dont load the 8 or 16 output kontakt just the stereo out version

Thanks,but I need the dedicated outputs,does this imply that it’s not possible just to record arm any multi out VSTi,with just 1 channel as a preference rather than having them all selected?
Cheers
Tommy

key words “multi out” not “multi in” there is only 1 input (or ANY) per track so you would need 16 tracks (or 8) using the same instance of kontakt for 16 (or 8) individual inputs. track 1 chan 1, track 2 chan 2, etc, etc

Ok so the real problem is multi instruments where linked together on a VCA. Can’t have the tracks linked to a VCA
This is a real drag, I hope Steinberg addresses this issue.
Cheers