Recorded Audio Removed from Pool

Hello,

is there a way to make Cubase stop removing recorded audio files from the pool when they are not used in the project window anymore?

If I have only one instance of a recorded audio file (recorded not imported), and I remove it from my project window it is going to the trash. Why? I might want to use it later! Please keep it in the pool unless I manually trash it.

Any suggestions?

Hi,

In the Audio folder of Pool, there are Audio events (Files), which are currently used in the project. The Audio file you are not currently using, are in the Trash. You can move them form the Trash to the Audio folder, and then back to the project any time.

Hello Martin,

thanks for replying. I am aware that you can retrieve the files from the trash and that they are also kept in the Audio folder where Cubase’s project is saved. However, that’s not feasible for my workflow. I am just trying to always keep the recorded files in the pool regardless of whether they are used in the project or not. In other words I need to create a sound library before I even start working on my projects.

I usually bounce them so they become “actual” files and not recorded files. Which of course then creates a problem with naming the files…so

any other suggestions to make it easier?

Hi,

Isn’t the Library ment for this use case?

From the File menu, select New Library. Here, you can create your own library of audio samples, which you can drag-and-drop to the project later on.

Thanks for the suggestion, but the Library is not very useful. Different workflow for my kind of projects. Usually, I record specifically for each project and I use those samples only for the project I am working on.

Here is my way around it.

1. I create a track, which I name Rec. Here I record all of my samples. Because of the track name, all the recorded audio clips will be named as Rec_01, Rec_02 etc.

2. I Edit and keep only the files that are going to be useful. The rest I delete/erase. Thankfully, the deleted files go directly into the trash. So, I can organize things better.

3. Then, I will render in place, or bounce the selected audio files → store them in another audio track(s) and get advantage of track versions in order to keep everything organized. For example, a track named Glass: (v1) Empty, (v2) brake, (v3) single hits etc. It is easier for me to search for files like this since:

1 I don’t have to quit my project window,
2) seeing the waveform helps me detect files faster based on density, transients, passing, combos, single hits etc.
3) I can hear the files I am looking for in context with my project
4) I can apply processing (insert-plugins) while searching for the files to have a better idea how they will sound like in overall.

The empty track version is useful so I don’t have to mute the recorded material. Just after selecting files revert the track to “Empty.”

Naming is the tricky part:

The rendering will give me something like Glass, Glass-01, Glass-02, Glass-03. So, before rendering, I create a “fake” audio clip in front of all the other audio files. This “fake” clip will be named as Glass. This allows the audio files that I want to rename to start from 01, which makes more sense, or at least for me. Then, I will delete and trash the “fake” sample.

Thanks for listening. Would be glad to learn a more efficient way.