Recording audio / midi to audio

I realise this question may come up a lot - and believe me, I wouldn’t ask it if I could solve my problem - I’ve spent a week going through this forum, the manual, phoning Steinberg etc. I have a project I’ve been working on for over a year and up until recently was able to record a midi track (from an external Korg Kronos) as an audio track. I’ve done it over and over again and now I can’t. I can open a simple piece of software like Audacity, use Korg as the input, and I can record - but when I try to do the same with Cubase 7 nothing happens. I’ve updated drivers, tried combinations, nothing. The files I recorded from midi to audio are still on my machine, evidence that I did it - but now it seems impossible. Anyone got any ideas?

You recorded midi as audio… Never heard of that in Cubase.

What I do know is that you can record your midi and mixdown the middi to audio and reimport it into Cubase. Of course the “render in place” function in Cubase will do the same but I think that function was incorporated when CB version 8 came out.

I will be interested to see if anyone else replies to this if I am wrong. :slight_smile:

Regards :sunglasses:

Thanks for your help - yes, I am surprised as you are that I copied midi to audio as I have since learnt that it is impossible! (But I did! I simply solo’d the instrument I wanted converted to midi and recorded it on an audio track below - and I still have the audio waves of those tracks). Steinberg tells me ‘render in place’ will work but from what I’ve read this is only possible with VST instruments - I haven’t yet got clear confirmation from Steinberg, or anywhere else, that recorded midi tracks from external instruments can be rendered as audio.