hello, group !
i’d like to record a number of takes, starting at a specific point in a song. i’d like to do this in a loop, one take each time, and allow a measure or two of pre-roll and post-roll for the musicians to get in the groove each time through the loop. i’ve tried several approaches but can’t figure out how to do this. the closest i got was trying this :
- i set auto-punch-in at a specific point. this moves the left locator there.
- i set auto-punch-out a couple of measures later. this moves the right locator there.
- i set pre-roll and post-roll to 1 measure each.
- i set ‘cycle’ on
- i move the cursor to the auto-punch-in point and press ‘play’.
cubase starts playing 1 measure earlier [as it should], starts recording at the punch-in point [as it should], and stops recording at punch-out [all well and good], but when it loops back, it no longer takes pre-roll into acct, it just goes right back to the punch-in point. when i try w/cycle off, cubase doesn’t cycle back to 1 measure before the punch-in point. in fact, it doesn’t even stop after post-roll, it just keeps on playing.
also, when i stop playback, cubase deactivates auto-punch-in. i have to keep resetting it every single time i want to record.
so my questions -
- how can i make it loop until i tell it to stop, including pre-roll and post-roll ?
- how can i keep punch-in activated until i deactivate it ?