Recording Built-in Keyboard Voices as MIDI

Did you say that you have created a virtual MIDI Device, via the Device Manager? Maybe the problem is there…
You don’t actually need to use a virtual MIDI Device, just route the output of a regular MIDI track to the UM-1.

Yeah, I did try and install the RD as a virtual MIDI device, but I don’t think it was that successful. I had no idea what I was doing when it came to patch banks and stuff. In any case, the output that I selected for it was the UM-1. And yes, I have tried both routing to this virtual MIDI device and the UM-1 alternatively. Actually, at the moment I have switched out the UM-1 for the RD’s usb MIDI option and have a single cable straight from the back of the RD to my computer’s usb port. This connection supports everything the UM-1 did.
Currently the MIDI track is output routed straight to the Roland Digital Piano which is this connection I have just described. My problem remains.

I am more inclined to suspect the way MIDI Receive is set up in your Roland keyboard.

Thank you to all who have offered their help so far. The next exciting installment of my problem is here…

In response to vic’s last post, I have just got off the phone with Roland support who has told me that the problem does partially lie with the RD. Apparently the RD has two sound banks, the “Live Sets and Tones”, which are all the nice ones that I am trying to record, and the “GM bank” which is what I’m currently hearing, and all that I can currently record by sending MIDI signals to the RD.

The key to my problem is apparently to “create an event at the start [of my MIDI track] to direct the MIDI signals to the correct sound bank within the RD”. (This is what the Roland Support man told me, and though it makes some sense, I have no idea how to do it)

I have access to a “data sheet” (which actually seems to be a couple of sheets) of confusing numbers and letters. Somehow I need to use this information to send “Transmitting Bank Select (Controller Number 0, 32) and Program Change messages” from Cubase to the RD.

Can anyone help me out with how to do this?

Can you upload a copy of that data sheet? (no promises :wink: )

This is the link to download the data sheet:

http://www.roland.com/support/article/?q=manuals&p=RD-300NX

Thanks for giving it a look. :slight_smile:

(I’ll take a look tomorrow… way past bedtime here :wink: )

Roland being as obtuse as ever! :stuck_out_tongue:
Do you actually want to control which Live Set to use, from Cubase, or just have it play the Live Set that is currently active? If the latter, then you don’t really want to send it any Bank/Program messages at all, but simply disable GM mode. Take a look at pages 58 and 62 of the Roland Doc, and try simply disabling “Rx. GM/GM2 System On”. You might also have to play around with “Part Mode” on page 62.
I’m sorry, this is purely “educated guesswork” without actually having that keyboard in front of me. It also reads like it might only play back one of the three layers in the Live Set (seems each layer has its own MIDI channel).
anyways, see if any of the above gives some pointer to how to get there (but, geez!, you should be able to just play the MIDI track and have it play the same sound as when you play it live, without having to jump through all these hoops!)

Well Vic, seems like an educated guess was good enough. You know your stuff :slight_smile:
I’m very grateful - couldn’t make head or tail of that data sheet and I had no idea what I was looking for in the manual. I deactivated the GM/GM2 System On like you said, switched over to 16 Part mode and after all these days, I’ve finally got my sound!! :smiley:
Thanks a bunch to everyone who helped solve this problem, giving up their time and sleep :wink:

Nice :slight_smile:
You can count on Vic to get to the bottom of stuff, he’s always good to have in your topic :sunglasses:

I’m delighted to have been able to help :slight_smile:
(Historically, Roland have always written the most needlessly-complicated manuals you could ever stumble upon :stuck_out_tongue:)

I disagree, my Yamaha keyboard manual is WAY more complicated then my Roland manual :stuck_out_tongue:
To the point where I’m better off randomly trying stuff instead of finding things and making sense of them in the (PDF :imp: ) manual.

Maybe it would be easier if we were Japanese? :laughing:

Japan we were maybe more easy, right?

English>Japanese>English :laughing:

That website translates between english and japanese iteratively untill it finds equilibrium (translation and back returns the same result).
It’s hilarious for many phrases, this one not so much.

That reminds me of a very old TV sketch with the British comedian Ronnie Barker, where he did an impression of Nana Mouskouri singing “Bye Bye Blackbird” in Greek, with English subtitles (I’ll let you imagine the result :stuck_out_tongue: )

Just to tell you guys: This thread has been a godsend!!
Thanks so much!!! :sunglasses:
Benji