Recording drums with Elements

Hello all,

I can’t seem to find much information on recording drums in Cubase Elements 8. I will be looking to record at least 8 different tracks at the same time. Would Elements be able to do this?

From what I have read, it seems that Pro is the full package, Artist has slightly less functionality and Elements has less than that; however, they are all essentially as powerful as the next with regards to recording. It’s just the VST’s / tools that you pay extra for. Is this correct or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

tl;dr - Can you record drums effectively with Elements (multiple tracks + eq) or should I save a bit more for Artist / Pro?

I have ordered a Tascam 16x08, in case that helps with the answer.

Elements should be sufficient for basic recording and EQing, but I would recommend getting Artist or Pro if possible since they give you a lot more freedom.

Steinberg is having a sale on upgrades that would allow you to upgrade from Elements to Artist for 119 bucks or Elements to Pro for 269: http://www.steinberg.net/en/landing_pages/summer_upgrade_special.html

Note that you’ll need an eLicenser dongle if you get Artist or Pro.

Elements has less In-and output busses (though still enough for 8 tracks), and less audio and MIDI tracks

Thanks for the answers guys. Elements is a good place to start then? I’m only going to be recording drums so there is no need for more tracks or effects.