Recording error: Audio drop out detected

More and more often I get interrupted during recording with the label:
[Recording error: Audio drop out detected.]
It comes after 5-10 seconds of recording.
If I restart Cubase I can record again, but after a while comes back the same problem.
What can I do?
Thanks in advance!

first you can describe your system
we are not able to provide any help with close to zero information from your side

Thank you for writing Steffen!
I use Windows 7, 64 bit, Cubase 10
My laptop is DELL Insiron with RAM 8GB
I record through UR22 USB audio interface from Steinberg
Is there something more to describe?

Same, audio drop out…
MacOS Catalina 10.5.7
Cubase 10.5 Pro
MacBook Pro 16 Go RAM
UAD Apollo X4 as audio interface

Start here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUsLLEkswzE

3 Likes

good one, he sums up much problems… and explains that very simple

What I did I touched the bottom of my laptop and found out that it is rather hot. Then I got a second fanpad to place beneath cause I already had one. After this the problem almost disappeared. Seems like the cpu gets rather hot with Cubase recording…

From time to time, on my Laptop (Sony, i5, 8Gb), I get an audio dropout. This tends to occur whilst I am recording my initial mono audio track; in an otherwise empty project. The error message insists that I am recording too many tracks at the same time, but it also makes it quite clear that this is an audio dropout problem.

Restarting Cubase (1o.#) doesn’t help, because the problem is usually an OS (Win 1o) issue. In fact, almost exclusively, it’s because the OS has detected the successful download of an automatic update (and, yes, I know that I could switch this off, but…). The OS then starts acting like a “demon possessed”, grabbing all the resources it can find to install the update. This effectively denies Cubase the resources it needs and within minutes causes an audio dropout. The cure is to perform a ritual exorcism by o1/ Saving your project, o2/ Closing Cubase, etc., and o3/ Restarting the PC to update Windows: Problem solved, as can be shown by restarting Cubase.

I do however have a more serious concern regarding your observation that “the CPU gets rather hot with Cubase recording.”

Simply put, laptops are prone to getting hot (it’s an electrical thing). And, yes, Cubase may well be resource hungry, in particular for allocated CPU usage. Then again, any semi-competent software engineer could easily write you a lightweight utility that would raise the usage of each individual CPU, core, thread, etc., to 1oo%, and keep it there. Other resources can be acquired in a similar manner. Hence, Cubase isn’t necessarily the problem, even if CPU usage problems occur on an appropriately specified PC.

At the risk of oversimplification, applications (like Cubase) are supposed to be kept in check regarding resource usage by the OS, BIOS, etc.; in this case to distribute the available CPU time to the competing applications (and other processes) based on various rules and events. The OS and lower level software components are also responsible for dealing with the consequences of resource usage. For example, when a CPU (and other components) run, they produce heat (just as you pointed out). This heat needs to be dissipated and the manner in which this is achieved is largely controlled by the OS, etc., as described above; to the point that possible heat related failures should be detected and dealt with. In other words, if you, as a user, are noticing that your laptop is hot to the touch, get it checked.

I can’t tell you exactly what the problem will be, but it’s not Cubase. I can also tell you that it could be indicative of a potentially fatal problem; as shown below.

This is my old Dell Chromebook. It got a bit hot too, apparently; not that I noticed, I was too busy word processing, or whatever. It wasn’t until I flipped it over one day that I found that some of the internal components had melted, all the way through the lower casing at multiple points all across the facing. I was horrified: How could this happen?: No OS warnings, no detectable heat on the machine’s upside, no smell of “melting”, not a whisp of smoke, not a single flame, no fire, no explosion, no automatic cutoff, etc., etc.

In this case, the solution is simple. Physically destroy the machine so that it is beyond repair and can never be used again. No?: Get it repaired?: Well, I guess that’s up to you. After all, it’s your death trap. Personally, I considered it best to literally kick the CPU out of it (and some), as I hope the photograph illustrates.

But seriously folks: Beware “hot” PC components, etc.

Be safe.

PS: If anyone is interested, having kicked the CPU out of my Dell, I expected to see… Well, that’s the thing, I didn’t see it: On the contrary, the battery appeared to be in perfect working order.

Thanks for explanations! :slight_smile:

I have this issue on my desktop computer, which only occurs when recording amazon music to cubase via an RME Loopback channel. Most odd!

System:
Windows 10
Ryzen 9 3950
32GB Ram
Cubase 12 Pro