Recording external instrument audio in Cubase ELEMENTS

Greetings fellow musicians!
I have recently purchased a Yamaha CS Reface synthesizer and am trying to record it in cubase elements. However, after four hours of hard work to no avail, I was shocked to learn that external midi instruments is a pro-only feature! Is there any workaround that I could do in elements to record the audio from my synth? If so, I would appreciate if someone could explain it to me simply, as I am new to cubase. Thanks so much!

Hi and welcome to the forum,

Add an Audio Track, set the input and record, please.

1 Like

Thank you for your response. Under audio inputs, I only have my stereo in bus and my microphone. I cannot find the CS. What should I do?

The audio on the Yamaha is coming out of the audio outputs, not over USB.
You need to plug it in to the stereo in of the realtek.

1 Like

How do I do this? I do not have an audio interface. I’m not sure if that means anything.

An interface is certainly the better option but you may get acceptable results plugging into the realtek line/mic input.

The Reface has left and right outs on mono jacks. You need a cable to go from there into your computer…which presumably has a 3.5mm stereo mini jack in?

I have my 3.5mm to 1/4 inch cable plugged in
(l/mono output on the reface —> mic on my pc) but I’m still not getting anything. Is there anything I have to do in audio connections to get it to show up?

What cable?..ideally you would need a 3.5mm stereo to 2 x mono jack…even if you only plug one of the jacks in for mono.

Then you’ll need to select input for the track. Which could be either Audio 1 or Audio 2 because of the stereo 3.5mm and the fact you’re only using one side.

The cable I have is just a 3.5mm to 1/4 inch (just one plug on each side). Can I make it work with this (plugged into L/mono)

I also have a usb cable

It should work but you will end up with only one of the two channels in a stereo signal.
Make sure you have set up your Input Bus correctly in Cubase, which should be a Mono bus (since your cable is mono), select this bus as your input on your Mono Audio Track, Record Enable the track, hit record and you’re rolling.
All of the above are basic DAW/Cubase operations for which there should be plenty of YouTube videos if the user manual does not suffice.

Thank you so much everyone! I really appreciate it.