Recording freely and warping the grid

Hello All,

I have been accustomed to using a certain workflow in Cubase to record and notate piano sketches. I’m wondering if it’s possible to replicate this workflow in Dorico and skip Cubase altogether? Here’s what I do:

• Open a new project in Cubase
  • Make a new MIDI track with a piano sound
  • Hit record and start playing (sometimes I don’t even hit record and rely on Retrospective Record)
  • Stop playing
  • Use the Time Warp/Warp Grid tool and signature track to adjust barlines and time signatures to fit the recorded performance. This also has the side effect of populating the tempo track.
    -Open the Cubase Score Editor
  • Open the Score Editor Settings dialog
  • Use the Staff:Main to adjust the Display Quantize and Interpretation Options to match the performance
  • Use the Staff:Polyphonic tab to change the staff mode to Split (or Polyphonic)

At that point I usually have a readable piano sketch score. It’s very quick to get to that point. If I need to do more engraving, I have historically exported MusicXML from Cubase and imported to Sibelius. But I have switched to Dorico and now use it to import MusicXML.

If possible, I would like to learn how to skip Cubase altogether and do this entire workflow in Dorico. The part I haven’t been able to figure out is how to replicate the Time Warp/Warp Grid step.

Is there some way to warp the grid in Dorico? Or an equivalent feature that achieves the same thing somehow?

Thank you,

– Jason

1 Like

At the moment, there’s no equivalent to the time warp or warp grid tools in Dorico, so unfortunately this workflow isn’t practical in Dorico at the present time. This is something we may implement in future.

2 Likes