Recording Loopmash in Cubase Artist

Hello

Ever since I have upgraded to Cubase Artist, I haven’t been able to find a way to record a performance either as Midi or Audio. Is this something that is only available on Cubase Pro?

You can route the Loopmash into a group channel, then create another audio track (let’s name it “LM_rec”, for instance) and select the group channel as an input for the “LM_rec” audio track. This way, you can record your Loopmash performance on the “LM_rec” track.

Best regards

Miloslav

I´m quite certain, you can´t do that with artist!

Oh, my bad! Sorry, I wasn’t aware of this constraint :blush: If Artist cannot record from buses then another solution comes to mind: you should be able to automate the Loopmash effect buttons. In other words, record your performance as automation track(s). Although I haven’t tried to automate Loopmash in particular, I suppose it should work. Then, you could export your Loopmash track as an ordinary instrument or audio track…

Best regards

Miloslav

Thanks for your replies. Odd that Steinberg should offer a VST plug in with Artist that cannot be used for production. I can understand why different Cubase versions should have different functionality - but surely the inability to do the most basic thing - record (with a hosted Steinberg VST application) is some sort of mistake? Anyway, other than that, I tried the automation feature and was unable to get anything down in the track from loopmash. Frustrating, but, thanks again for all of your help!

Of course it can be used for production.

If you look around the forums, you´ll see, that if Steinberg implements all the features, that different users consider as basic functionality, they would end up with one Cubase Pro for three different prices.
You can “record” your VST instruments to audio with the “export → audiomixdown” function, just like we all had to with earlier also with the more expensive versions of Cubase.

The basic performance controls in Loopmash can be triggered by a MIDI keyboard (Performance Controls). It means that regarding these buttons Loopmash works as an ordinary VST instrument (e.g. softsynth), therefore, you can record your performance as a MIDI part. If there are other controls that cannot be controlled via MIDI (I’m not sure if there are any) then you will have to use the automation as wrote earlier. However, MIDI as well as automation should be recorded on the Cubase timeline - it means while the Cubase transport is running. It’s not enough to press “play” in Loopmash :wink:

Best regards

Miloslav

Thanks Miloslav - I will try triggering the controls via the keyboard and then recording the midi inputs which I assume will reitrigger via loopmash on playback?

Exactly! :wink:

Miloslav