Recording loops

I know how to select part of a track and create a loop that plays. I am having problems getting other tracks to record as thiws loop is playing, I mean, the record function is working and I am getting new lanes to show up as the take are being recorded, the problem is that there is no information in what is being recored. It is like there is no data in the new lanes. The tracks that I am using to record the loop are set up correctly as far as I can tell. I am missing something very simple here. Please help.

Sure you have the correct input selected? More precise explanation?

Is there sound coming out while you are playing during the recording?
If so, are you sure that the sound you are hearing is coming from the track you are recording?

Example: It is possible to MONITOR one track and record on a different track. So you might be tricked into thinking what you hear is being recorded. But, the sound is actualy coming from a track that you are not recording on.

HTH

Where would I check the correect input??

(YES)Is there sound coming out while you are playing during the recording?
If so, are you sure that the sound you are hearing is coming from the track you are recording? YES
I have this very simple for learning - 1 track that has sound that is being looped. 1 track recording to pick up the loop

Sound is being played while playing the loop.

There has to be a simple check list as to making sure I have this set up corretly??

Thanks so far

Where would I check the correect input??

(YES)Is there sound coming out while you are playing during the recording?
If so, are you sure that the sound you are hearing is coming from the track you are recording? YES
I have this very simple for learning - 1 track that has sound that is being looped. 1 track recording to pick up the loop

Sound is being played while playing the loop.

There has to be a simple check list as to making sure I have this set up corretly??

Thanks so far

Maybe simplifying things will help to troubleshoot it.

Can you record any random audio into the track in question? If not, then that needs to be sorted out before trying the more complicated thing you describe. If so, great!, then we can move on from there.

Check “VST Connections” (I think under the “Devices” drop down menu at the top). Once it is sorted out, it’s a good idea to “Store”, so if it gets messed up later you can recall it. You can look in the Operations Manual index under VST Connections" if there are any problems, and post back here too.

Good luck!

Yes - I can record into the track that I am trying to record a loop - I checked this right away to make sure that anything could be recored onto the track.

Are you trying to record the loop that is playing on one track onto the recording track ALONG with what you are playing?
Try solo-ing the track you are recording on. What you hear on that track while in solo SHOULD be what will get recorded.

Just duplicate the track that can record. rename it and away you go.

I am not sure why this is so hard -

2 tracks:
1 is an audio track that i have isolated using the marker and loop function. I can play and hear this when I push play and it loops wonderfully

I want to record this loop and make a number of takes, which I will cdonnect for a whole new track.

TRACK2 - when I push record play, I can hear the music playing on track 1. Track 2 turns red and records creating takes but there is only a straight line on th takes.

How does it work if you just Ctrl Alt click and drag to repeat the loop and not use the loop function?

Screenshot of Device Setup- VST Audio System, VST Connections Input Tab and project window?

I was almost certain that you DIDN’T want this, I was thinking, how could anyone want to record multiple takes of the same loop? But if you’re controlling it realtime in some way then maybe it makes sense.

You need three tracks
Audio with original
Group track
Audio for receiving

Original audio track OUTPUT->Group track
Group track OUTPUT->No bus
Receiving audio track INPUT->Group track

/A

I think that is what I am looking for - I will play with it tonight Thanks- I will let you know

That did not work -

I have a drum loop and a serction of a rythm guitar that is is perfect and I want to record them both opnto a new track for the whole piece of music - I really am about to give up on this stuff - its not rocket science.

I’ve attached a picture just to make sure you get everything.

BUT as you just want to make the audio play through the whole song, use mashedmittens suggestion instead. Not only will you waste hard drive space by recording the loop, you’ll also risk getting an more or less audible click where the loop starts over.

Alt+click on the little square in the bottom right corner of your audio event, then while holding, drag it further right to create duplicates. (you can also select the event and press Ctrl+d to duplicate)

Then select all the events of the track and press X to perform crossfades to smoothen out the joints between them.

Either both these will work or you’re not using Cubase!

/A