Recording midi into audio in realtime in cubase 7

Hey,

I saw a studio session youtube video of a guy who was recording midi into audio.

How do you guys usually do this?

He did some weird but yet VERY simple way. He just recorded it straight into a new audio track.

What I have to do is route it to a group track and then back to an audio track for it to work.

Is there any other - much easier way of doing this? I don’t think this guy did that. He just recorded it straight from an audio track.

Thanks!

You can record straight from any summing bus, as long as you’ re not creting a feedback loop. This guy has also done it that way. Mor info as always can be found in the manual.

What do you mean? so he actually routed it through a group and then set the input of that group to that audiotrack?

Post a link to the video and I am sure someone could help out with the specifics of what you saw.

I lost the video unfortunately, just something I had in mind :frowning:(

Oh btw… in this video:

In the link above, he says he’s making 2 new groups in Cubase - one for TI 2 IN and one for TI 2 OUT, then he’s sending the TI 2 to a new group to handle the reverb and stuff like that. I don’t get this routing? why is he doing this?

And also I’m wondering why he’s using F11 (the VST instruments window inside of Cubase) instead of just loading it inside of each instrumenttrack?

He routed it to any kind of summing bus, which can be a group, an FX track, or an output. Since currently that´s the only way to record internally in Cubase, he has done it exactly that way.
Unless he used a soundcard mixer to do it.

Getting back to this thread. I found the video and watched it over again, and guess what! He didn’t route it.

He simply just Disabled ANY outgoing sound of that Audio channel and then selected the input as the Stereo Out (output). That way he records everything that comes from the master.

This is what I meant.

Thanks for the reply though!

And to get sound out of the master you need to route the signals there sooner or later, or in case of the master - automatically. Nevertheless, the master out is the summing bus, where the audio that has to be recorded is routed to.

OK, I can see how that would work. But the question is, why would anyone want to do that? I mean, for what purpose?

For recording for example a VSTi output “live” and in realtime.

Exactly. This spares ALOT of routing and such of the channels and can be used as a RECORDING audio channel which is awsome. Then you just add a new normal audio channel and move that file down to that channel and voila you have sound again.

This way you don’t have to change any inputs what so ever - works the best for me atleast :smiley: