Recording session ruined- thanks steinberg

I would suggest that 4Gb of RAM is not enough on a quad core processor, and RAM issues are the most likely causes of crashes. After the OS has taken it’s chunk of memory and Cubase grabbed it’s working area, you probbaly only have about 2 Gb left, and with 8 threads running that’s only 256Mb per thread to use - that is certainly not enough.

You could experiment, by reducing the number of cores available, or turn mulit-processing off in Cubase to test this.

4Gb isn’t a huge amount of ram but that said I regularly record 16 simultaneous tracks on location with an old Sony laptop with 4Gb. I would not expect it to run stuff like Kontakt very well though as the memory will soon be maxed out…particularly if you use 32 bit Cubase.

If you want help you’ll need to supply more info

On the firewire side…Do you have a TI chipset? Have you tried the WIndows legacy firewire driver?
Is this a laptop or desktop…are the dropouts regular or random?
Are your Cubase performance meters showing any overloads when the dropouts occur?
Are you running 32bit or 64bit Cubase?

Check windows task manager performance tab while a droppping out project is running…how much cpu/memory is being used…how is the load spread across multiple cores?

I only have 4 gig of ram and have no problems recording multitrack audio or anything else for that matter, as suggested using the “legacy” firewire drivers may solve this problem, I use this with my firewire interfaces and have no problems.

If you want help you’ll need to supply more info

On the firewire side…Do you have a TI chipset? Have you tried the WIndows legacy firewire driver?
Is this a laptop or desktop…are the dropouts regular or random?
Are your Cubase performance meters showing any overloads when the dropouts occur?
Are you running 32bit or 64bit Cubase?

Check windows task manager performance tab while a droppping out project is running…how much cpu/memory is being used…how is the load spread across multiple cores?

The problem lies with the firewire driver i do believe. The DPC latency checker says the same thing. Can anyone point me in the right direction for a legacy driver please? I’ve tried looking but so far cannot find the actual driver.

This is on a desktop running 64bit version of windows 7… the dropouts are pretty regular now and the vst performance meter shows the asio performance maxing out, while the cpu isn’t very high at all. The CPU meters in task manager are fairly low (being spread across the 4 cpus) while the physical memory is over half capacity (2.5gb of a possible 4gb).

Could anyone help me with how to maximise performance, not that clued up on the workings of a pc unfortunately.

Thanks again,

Conrad.

http://www.focusrite.com/answerbase/en/article.php?id=1030

http://www.focusrite.com/answerbase/en/var/attachments/Focusrite_IEEE_1394_compatibility.pdf

Thanks mate. I’ve tried the legacy driver and it’s not that- it’s running the same if not worse now.

Any other suggestions?? The hardware hasnt changed since my reinstall the only things that have are the operating system and cubase. Thanks in advance.

What firewire card (or motherboard) is it? Do you know what chipset the FW is on?