Recording VSTi as Audio in Cubase Elements 8

I have Cubase Elements 8, Version 8.0.40 Build 623 (64 Bit) on a Windows 10 PC. I also have a M-Audio Fast Track Ultra (FTU) which works fine for recording audio and midi in Cubase. I can record external Midi instruments via the audio inputs/outputs from the FTU. My problem lies in trying to record a VSTi track as audio i.e. I can’t record “internal” midi to audio. If I create a group track I can assign that as the audio out of the VSTi track and the signal clearly gets through. However, the group track does not appear as an input option to the audio track I create. I have also not been able to get the audio produced by the VSTi to be recognised as an audio input to the FTU which would allow me to assign this as the audio input to an audio track. I feel that there should be both a software and hardware routing solution to this problem. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Typically the “Render in Place” function is used to create audio from an instrument track. Check it out but I am pretty sure that function is not included in the CB Elements 8 version.

So you could do a “mixdown” of your instrument track. Using the options in the mixdown dialogue menu I believe you can mix it down directly into the project (not sure if that option is in the CB Elements version either). If it is not, you just mix it down to say, your desktop, and import the file back into the project.

The other way is to use a patch cable connected between your audio interface output to the audio input. You will most likely have latency issues but… the audio track will get recorded.

Regards :sunglasses: