Recording "What you hear / Stereo Mix"

Hi Guys,

I have the Steinberg UR824, and more recently the UR22. Love them. However, I think im missing something…

I also have the Focusrite 2i2 Scarlett USB, and the EMU 0204 USB, as well as an internal EMU 0404 PCI card. not all running at once!!

now, in the EMU 0404’s Patchmix, im able to drag a WAVE L/R out to the ASIO In, and record the stereo mix (ie, what you hear) directly into Cubase. easy. takes a few seconds.

No other device lets me do this, even the UR824. however, if im playing something in youtube, and have Cubase open, the sound CONTINUES to play in the background on the UR22 and UR824, so its possible to get two sound sources… but on the EMU0204 USB and Focusrite 2i2 Scarlett USB the sound shuts off, and can only be used in Cubase…

why is it, that something so simple to ask for, and uncomplicated to do in reality, seems to be not allowed or crippled in these “modern” devices.

ive tried ASIO4ALL, and tried routing the MOBO’s sound card through the UR824/UR22, which seem to be the ones ive gotten closest to…

surely, adding in some sort of VST “Stereo Mix” in VST Connections (F4!) would make such a simple task achieveable ?

anyone manage to do this with the UR824/UR22 ?

UPDATE :

after racking my brains trying every single combination, even trying regsitry tweaks/mixing matching the internal realtek soundcard to the steinberg’s outs (UR824/UR22) I have come to the conclusion that for the money, the EMU’s Patchmix system or RME’s TotalMix are just a few that can do this…

with regards to the UR824…
in the end, I took two mono jacks out of the OUTS 3/4 and used cubases Hardware Setup, to set the MIX 1/2 (where the sound from say my browser was coming from, and incidentally there is NO way to change this either!) to come out of OUTS 1/2, AND 3/4… I simply plugged them into the INPUTS of 3 and 4, and created a stereo VST connection… not idea, but it worked.

can anyone confirm that this is a DRM thing ? a legal thing ? I can, however despite all of this, heartily recommend the UR824 interface, it is superb for the money, and can say the same for the UR22, fantastic and beats the Focusrite 2i2 and EMU 0202/0204 systems hands down…

last thoughts : what would be interesting, is for someone to write a low-level “virtual” sound card so DAW’s can pick it up. calling it simply " STEREO MIX BUS " or something would enable us to do this hassle free.

A recent firmware update (nov 13) for the ur824 means that they have included loopback on this unit, enabling this much missed feature… Excellent work steinberg!