Recording with the arranger track

I’ve been trying to use Cubase for live looping, and got very close to finding a way to do it in a previous post (thanks @skijumptoes ). Essentially, by using the arranger track it’s possible to define multiple loops and jump around them smoothly. It’s then pretty straightforward to set up a generic remote to stop and start recording, move between tracks and loops, enable monitoring and/or recording, etc.

BUT… recording stops as soon as the first loop is complete or if the arranger track moves on to a new item. This really stops it being usable, as enabing record at each loop is a huge inconvenience.

Instead, it would be so much better to be able to continuously record when using the arranger track. Ideally, it would link into the lane functionality, but otherwise just recording over the top of previous takes would be fine. It looks like this feature has been suggested here quite a few times before…

3 Likes

I was trying to configure cubase for live looping and arrived exactly at the same position. It’s a shame that there is no solution for that yet.

Welcome to the forum Angel_Luis_Gonzalez

There is not a good solution yet.
However, I have a very … um “in depth”, template, that does the job once you get the loops.
You have to record the loops to audio, and then drag and drop them into a sampler track. The thing is, I have it set up so that is supper simple and easy.
I also have the Launchpad setup as well.

Problem is, it is mixed with my particular workflow which is rather unorthodox.
I like to be able to define a mode that a signal chain is in, and not worry about the details.
I like to have all of the CC data on a different track. (That is completely optional, my son wants all the midi data on the same track so he deletes the transformer on the midi track and the cc track for each channel)
I like to be able to overdub audio, like midi.
I like to record midi the same as if it were audio,
I like to treat performance recording the same, and always have the original without any effects on it.
I like to set up FX like it were a pedalboard when I am recording.
And I like to treat every signal chain while doing this the same, and not have to worry about which kind it is.

None of that will effect the way the “Arrange” or “Looper” section works, so you can just use that if you want.

I made it as generic as I could, and wrote a manual for it.

It may not be your thing, but I have shared it with a few people who watched what I was doing, and like it. The problem was that it was set up specific to what was on each signal chain, and named as such, so I made it be digits instead, and cleaned a few things up.

It’s over here.