Red note heads

hmmmm.

I’m getting these red notes too
Screen Shot 2022-05-16 at 3.20.39 PM
. I wrote out a very very basic harp part, and all notes are red. These notes are nowhere near out of range and every single note is on the key (Eb minor).

I also have unchecked “show harp pedaling” in layout options because pretty much every professional harpist I know prefers NOT to have the pedaling in their parts.

If you do not input any harp pedaling, Dorico Pro assumes all harp pedals are in their natural setting, as they would be for C major. Any pitches that do not fit with the current harp pedaling, excluding the two lowest harp strings, appear red when colors for notes out of range are shown.

See this page in the Dorico manual.

2 Likes

I have a violin 1 section where my a3 notes are displayed in red in writing mode. I am not playing the violin but in my opinion this should be clearly within the range. So is this then indicating that it is more difficult to play?

Are you sure this isn’t just a voice color displaying as red?

As all other notes on this stave are black and all a3 notes are red, I believe I have not mistakenly added another voice if that is what you meant.

My guess is you’ve somehow got a violin that thinks its an oboe. What happens if you enter a g6 (which would show red on oboe, but not on violin)?

XML import?

No import, it is a new Dorico 5 document.

In the meantime I found the solution - I should have read the documentation more accurately.

Dark red notes are considered to be challenging to play - here is the link:

https://steinberg.help/dorico_pro/v5/en/dorico/topics/notation_reference/notation_reference_notes/notation_reference_notes_out_of_range_colors_hiding_showing_t.html?hl=dark%2Cred