Red Question marks on each midi inst icon.

I need to get back to midi work and when I open the Audio/Midi setup (Snow Leopard 10.6.8 I get large
red question marks and there is no functionality.

Got off the phone with MOTU. Use the MidiTimePiece AV. I set up a new configuration and there is still a large red question mark on each midi device’s icon and no sound from Cubase. Even Kontakt 4 is not getting a midi keyboard trigger. Any help on this?

I’m intrigued by your problem, and I would love to help, but I don’t think I have enough information. What exactly is your MIDI signal chain?

MIDI Devices (keyboards, etc). → MidiTimePiece AV → ??? → Computer?

I guess I would start with basic troubleshooting.

Step 1:If you have a basic controller keyboard with USB, can you plug that DIRECTLY into your computer and have it recognized?

Step 2: If you’re using a MIDI interface of some kind, can you plug a simple keyboard into that MIDI interface then to the computer, and have THAT signal be recognized by your computer?

Step 3: Add the MidiTimePiece AV to the signal chain. Is it still working? Etc.

It’s hard to say what could be wrong without knowing your signal chain. There could be a driver issue with your interface. There could be something wrong in the mac Audio/MIDI settings. If it were me, I would see if I could get a basic, bare-bones set up working and add equipment from there until something breaks… Then at least you’ll have more information to focus your troubleshooting on.