Red Wine and Brownies, Rehearsal 2016-07-19

Hey Leon, thanks for the link to the Alex Machacek album. I’ve only previously heard the first one.

Beautiful guitar sounds on the Machacek track, I agree, and he’s a sublime player. At the risk of stating the obvious, there’s a lot of guitar going on there; at least three different parts?

When you talk about LCR in your mix, what exactly do you mean? Yes please, put another mix up, it’s very helpful for a non-mixer like me to hear the contrasts. And +1 for a link to the wah wah track!

Steve.

Isn’t this what a stereo widener does for a mono source?

Hi Strophoid,im not sure what a the stereo widener does .it may use a bit of a delay but i think they work with a stereo signal and any parts of a signal that are unique or only heard in either the left or right (not in both sides because that would just produce a mono sound) of the stereo field can be turned up and this exagerates the width of the stereo field.... i think :question: i dont think you can widen a mono sound unless you reproduce the signal and delay it in some way.

I know for a fact that the stereo widener/enhancer (whatever it’s called) in Cubase does something to mono sources too that makes them sound wider, I always assumed it’s what you described, a slight delay between 2 copies of the signal panned apart.

To Steve, LCR is Left/Center/Right, which is a philosophy in which any given instrument is either hard left, smack center, or hard right. And you can use reverb. Jet uses it on his last track that he posted. I would say it can lead to high clarity on recordings especially heard on monitors (as opposed to headphones). I’d let Jet explain better. I maintain that it really doesn’t work for trio combos! As I said I don’t notice it being used on professional recordings I use for reference, which led me to link to Alex M.

To Polgara, yes, I’ve played with that effect (called the “Haas effect”, right?). When you use it, you’re conceding that the guitar will be in the middle, right? Or maybe you can lower the delayed side and move it a little to the other side? I’ve gotten into the habit of adding a mono (no feedback) delay on the opposite side that’s cut sharply on low and high, of 100 ms or so, although varies by song. Then I make it slightly audible, to taste, and it kind of makes the guitar start on one side and finish on the other. Read that somewhere. You have to remember to send both the main output and the delay to the same reverb. But it isn’t what Alex is doing, that’s for sure. Although I could pull up references where I hear that being done.

Strophoid is right, I think, that there is definitely a processing with delays in the “enhancer” plug that also works on mono sources. In fact, delay is one of the parameters you can tweak. Anyway, I’ve found no description of what this plug does in any Cubase documentation. It just “enhances”. And you can chose the preset “light mastering”. There’s also a “color” knob. I have no idea what color it is.

OK, here’s the version without the enhancer, and there are a few other tweaks to compensate. I do think it’s clearer, and better, but I remain on my quest to figure out how to present a more lively mix.

Oh, and I meant to point out that in the old days Phil D would have scolded me for putting up a second revision! The unwritten rule was you get one revision after the first post. So I feel a little bit guilty.

While the cat’s away, the mice can play. :laughing:

And Phil, if you’re out there, love ya baby. :wink:

Well that mix is great. Five stars.

As to red wine, I’m currently knocking off a bottle of
Corte Alla Flora Vino Nobile Di Montelpuciano Riserva 2004.
Picked up from a local cellar near my home.

I’m toasting this tune as I write.

Will play it again, coz a good excuse for another glass. :laughing:

Wonderful, if this discussion led to Montepulciano, we’ll be ok! Thanks for listening again, and for providing the ideas that helped to improve it.

Put something in Dropbox, but I think I have to authorize one by one? Let me know if you want to hear it.

Hi Leon ,dropbox seem to have made it difficult to share without the reciever having to disclose their email. with" Box "you dont have that problem , you right click the audio you have uploaded to Box and you are given a link which you can then post on a forum or email and people can click on that link and download the item without disclosing anything . dropbox can target adverts at emails also pass on emails to other companys

That’s not true, you can share a download link to dropbox files which people can view without giving dropbox any information. As a receiver just click ‘no thanks’ at the bottom of the window that pops up asking you to create a profile.

hi Strophid ,dont you have to be running the dropbox app which syncs your pc with the cloud to be able to send a link . i removed my dropbox app and i can now only send files to emails from the dropbox cloud,i cant post a link.

Yes, as a sender you need to use the desktop app to create a download link, but anyone can download from your download link without supplying any information to dropbox themselves.

I didn’t know dropbox sends advertisements to people you send files to through the website? Are you sure, because that would be pretty bad.

hi strophoid, most companys send junk to you if they have your email and want yer money ,im sure you already know that ,why would dropbox be any different.
i stopped using the db desktop app cause it was a pain in the butt always downloading stuff on to my pc id uploaded to the site . "Box" is an easier file sharing site to use,more discreet , you get more free space than dropbox. im sorry this thread has gone off topic,hope Leon dosn`t mind,i think i suggested dropbox aswell, whoops!

Sorry Leon, back to red wine and brownies. :wink:

yeh , anyway yes i`d like a copy of your gig Leon, please .

Hello guys, somehow I missed that last conversation. So after my coming weekend away, I’ll give you one or two from the set list that I was proud of that were not originals, probably through Dropbox, but I’m willing to go to a different service. Not so much great studio recordings, but a capture of a decent rehearsal, and definitely not great studio recordings. Just give me a few days.

Leon,

Absolutely love the track. Very smooth playing with a great feel. Live is so much fun and you captured everything so clearly.

Jonathan