redundant accidental across grand staff.

See attachment.

Is the # necessary in the second measure ? (The F was never altered on the treble clef)
Is there an option to control this. I can’t seem to find it.

using elements 2.2.0.1108.

Thx,

Open the bottom Properties panel (command 8 on Mac), and checkmark the Accidentals box; that should change its setting to Hide.

The options for cautionary accidentals are found on the Accidentals page of Notation Options. Without checking I can’t be sure whether there is an option for this specific situation, but for what it’s worth I would expect to see the F natural in the second bar and find it helpful.

Just my two cents: sometimes it’s helpful, but sometimes it’s pointless if the harmonic context means there is no “incentive” to play another F natural.

The example given doesn’t have enough context to have an opinion on whether it’s useful or not IMO.

I think the issue here is that the cautionary rules (as described in the notes in the Options dialog) refer to “all voices,” and for a multi-staff instrument, judging by the voice colours displayed, the voices “belong” to the whole instrument, not to the individual staves of notation.

It would be nice to have an option to stop cautionary accidentals “leaking” from one staff to another for multi-staff instruments.

Personally I feel much happier adding cautionary accidentals than hiding them. If you hide them and you then edit the music, they can stay hidden even if they are no longer cautionary!!!

FWIW hand engraved published scores tend to be sprinkled with missing accidentals - and sometimes it takes a long time to notice them. I once discovered that a very well known edition of a Beethoven piano sonata had a chord of C natural, E, A, and C sharp - and I had been playing the piece for at least 20 years from that edition before I saw that the sharp was missing from the bottom C!

1 Like

Is there a way to set this as a “policy” for all instances, or does it have to be done for each event ?

(FYI, my question is simply on dorico’s mechanism, not on whether it is a good practice). I also see (#) is an option too which is nice.
thx,

Definitely. The current behavior has tripped me up a number of times, and most of those times I have ended up hiding the cautionary.

3 Likes

Agreed.

(BTW, the cautionaries options I’ve set are exactly what I need for the single-staff instruments in the project, and I’d already deleted the first unnecessary accidental in the RH before taking the screenshot.)
I’m alerted to the fact that I’m making this post two years after the previous one. Has there been a change since then?

There is a setting in Notation Options for cautionaries at the octave, which should suffice.

Of course! That hadn’t even crossed my mind because I was wrongly thinking by staff rather than by instrument. Thanks.
(Later) Now at my machine again, and I see that I had ‘Common Practice’ set for cautionaries, and every option for that category set to ‘no cautionaries’. There seems to be an option somewhere which I have mis-set, but I don’t know where it is.
I’ve experimented by temporarily deleting accidentalised noteheads in the example to see what happens to the others, and - for example - if I delete the second C natural in the RH of bar 2, the C# cautionary in the RH below it disappears; and similarly if I delete the first C# in the LH of the same bar, then the C natural accidental above it goes.

It seems to have something to do with the simultaneous occurrences of two notes with different accidentals; but, with all my cautionaries options switched off, I can’t see why that should be so. Is there an overriding option which I’ve missed?
(I’m OK with hiding accidentals, of course, so no problem.)
(Next day) Yes, this simultaneous cautionaries thing is …a thing, as I’ve found as I work my way through the score.
Got to catch 'em all!