Reference Track (A/B Comparison)

Hi there.

What would be the best way to A/B track using wavelab elements 9? I just got a copy of it and i am trying to figure out the best way to use such technique. Basically I would like to use reference tracks so I can better master my own tracks based on my references.

Is is really possible to master track using just WL elements 9 only? It would be great if I could use the VST3 plugins built in within Cubase Pro 9 inside Wavelab Elements.

Thank you.

I’m not sure I understand you, but keeping a reference track close by…either in the montage itself or editor won’t work?

I’m a fan of Smart Bypass, but that isn’t about reference tracks.

You will get lots of replies about whether or not it is “really possible” to master a track using just WL.

If you mean professionally or better yet commercially I would say no. First of all, the tools in Cubase are not mastering tools. They are mostly production and mix tools.

Wavelab is an “environment” to master, not a “mastering program.” You can master in most any DAW if you have the right tools and have learned those tools through years of experience.

Most ME’s I know of use Wavelab to assemble in the montage. The error analysis tools and tools geared toward issues ME’s regularly encounter are very valuable in Wavelab. Most ME’s if they are not sending out to hardware and back in, are using 3rd party VST’s designed for audio mastering. These could include an assortment of Nugen, a few select Waves, Izotope, and UAD such as Massive Passive.

Good luck!

I don’t know of a good native option in WaveLab. I have a Crane Song Avocet monitor controller so it’s easy to have a few different sources to monitor and switch between them quickly.

People seem to like this plugin for A/B comparisons that must be done within the DAW:
https://www.samplemagic.com/details/184/magic-ab