Refined MouseWheel Controls (Scroll & Zoom) [Feature Request]

Explanation

1. Please add the function for vertical zooming with the mouse wheel when holding a dedicated modifier key [Alt would be a good choice]
  2. Mouse Wheel Modifiers Tab
  1. Please add a Mouse Wheel Modifiers Tab in the preferences so everybody can adjust the default modifiers to their liking just like in the Editing-Tools Modifiers Tab
  2. Please also add the possibility in the preferences to reverse the mouse wheel when scrolling horizontally so it aligns with the Windows system wide standard [move up = left]

Additional Details
I am fairly new to Cubase 10 and immediately noticed that there are a couple of problems regarding the mouse wheel, which still have not been resolved. In all honesty this is somewhat surprising, as Cubase has been going through an evolution of a couple of decades. Obviously the development of such a powerful software is never finished, because there is always something to be refined. Having to ask for the implementation of such a basic feature is still a bit concerning.
I know that there is a keyboard shortcut [shift-g / shift-h], but I prefer to work with the mouse wheel just like in any other DAW, especially when moving around in the Key Editor.
When scrolling horizontally the Windows behavior [up=left] is more consistent as moving the wheel up while holding shift moves the page to its leftmost beginning just like when regularly moving the wheel up moves the page to its topmost beginning thus moving up should always move towards the origin [1.1.1.0] of the project and moving down should always move away from the origin no matter which direction.

I am not asking you to change the Cubase defaults, I am only asking you to give us the possibility to manually adjust these basic functions to an established standard. I really do hope that this makes it into the next version of Cubase, as this cannot be too difficult to be implemented, but as my research has shown me these issues have been already addressed almost 5 years ago so my hopes are slim. I wonder why so much innovation is put into new features instead of taking some time aside for tidying up old outdated functions in order to polish the overall accessibility of the program.
Best Wishes!

2 Likes

[Removed]

Steinberg, please do implement.

Can we set the mouse wheel to zoom by default, without the need for pressing a modifier key?

Not within Cubase, no.
Some mice come with a configuration tool that might be able to re-imagine the mouse wheel. If you’re on Windows, you can create an AutoHotKey script that rebinds the mouse wheel to something else (or just add a modifier key).

1 Like