Regarding notation of musical style

Hi, doing some jazz arrangements. Want to know whether it is possible to insert some notation of the musical style like the one in the screenshot.

Yes. Use Petaluma as your font, add that as a system text, and turn on the border property.

Unfortunately, due to peculiarities of the Petaluma font, youā€™ll have to adjust the border padding top and bottom, since it will be too wideā€¦ :wink:
But work it will.

B.

Border isnā€™t quite the same thing though:

I thought I recalled these border characters were built into Petaluma Text too, but I canā€™t seem to figure out how to access them right now. Iā€™m not exactly sure which font is being used in that example and that ā€œSā€ is pretty distinctive, but Iā€™m guessing thatā€™s Finale based on the ties/slurs and the fact that I know thatā€™s what Mossman uses. (Obviously his publisher could use something different.) Either Jazz Text or Broadway Copyist Text that come with Finale have these characters, just click the ā€œEnclosuresā€ tab at either of these links to see how to access them:
https://usermanuals.finalemusic.com/FinaleWin/Content/Finale/font-jazz.htm
https://usermanuals.finalemusic.com/FinaleWin/Content/Finale/font-broadway-copyist.htm

This is sort of cheating but if no one can remember or can figure out how to do it with Petaluma, you can always just use the enclosures from Jazz Text and position them if you really want to copy that look. Iā€™m pretty sure that font is distributed free with the trial installer.

The fonts used in frankthetank_98 example are AshAlpha and AshMusic from Express Music (https://expressmusic.stores.yahoo.net/)
Unfortunately not available any more.

Hi, I am not sure of what you mean by enclosure in Jazz Text exactly. Could you please type out the steps to do this? Btw, Iā€™m using Dorico Element, not sure if the said functionality is available for me(there is no engrave mode in Dorico Elements)

Hey, checked out the website and now im convinced that the enclosure type for text seen in the screenshot is not available in Dorico, at least not in Dorico Elements, which is the one Iā€™m using lol.

The ā€œBossaā€ example I posted was done in Dorico. I just input two separate text items and then positioned them to look like the boundary was right above the Bossa text. I entered ā€œBossaā€ then entered ā€œā€ as a separate text item using Jazz Text. I then positioned the cursor between the two overlapping brackets and typed "\ \ \ " alternating the slash and space until it was the correct width.

ahhh still quite confusedā€¦ but thank you. What do you mean by ā€˜a separate text item using Jazz Textā€™, is there even such a thing called Jazz Text? If you are talking about musical fonts, that are only two - Petaluma and Bravura. And also, is it possible for me to place a text wherever I like on the score, because right now I can only place a text if it is attached to a note on the score. I want to place the ā€˜Bossaā€™ text far more to the left where there is more space, refer to the screenshot to see what I mean. Still, I am not sure where you can find the functionality for doing enclosure for a text, please screenshot if possible.

Petaluma Script does contain a stylistic set that automatically adds brackets like these, but unfortunately at the moment the font support in the underlying Qt framework that Dorico is built upon (and therefore also in Dorico itself) is insufficiently rich to allow the choice of different stylistic sets in OpenType fonts. We hope to make this substantially easier to achieve in future.

Hi,

Look at my BopMusic Fonts, I think you can get similar results like in your screenshot:

https://norfonts.ma/product/bopmusic-fonts-for-dorico/

Best,

Go to this site:

and look for the Pori font. It is the same as Petaluma, but not following the SMUFL Standard. When you download it it will give you a whole family of this font. You are specifically interested in these three:

Pori Rehearsal Enclosed Std
Pori Rehearsal Overline Std
Pori Rehearsal Underline Std

They are regular Text fonts like TimesNewRoman, so you can use them in Dorico wherever you need. Use brackets for start and ending of the text, all characters have the line above, below or both baked into the font.

Hi Thanks for the info, I managed to produce something like this, but still a bit disjointed.

It looks like you are using parantheses instead of brackets and are using a different font for them.

Paranthesis: ()
Braces: {}
Brackets:

When you type [BOSSA] with the Pori Overline Font you should get:
PoriBossa.png
I not even used Dorico, I just selected the font in TextEdit for this.

1 Like