Regular dropout in Dorico 4 playback

I opened, in Dorico 4, a project I’d been working on in v .3.5. The playback not so much stutters, but drops out momentarily in a regular rhythm, which seems to be associated with the movement of the playback line. I haven’t changed any settings or added any material since saving the project in 3.5, and if I close D4 and then open the file in D3.5, the exact same music plays back perfectly. I tried reapplying the playback template, but that had no effect. I did notice that NotePerformer’s splash logo doesn’t appear when opening the file (as it does in 3.5), but it is apparently loaded by D4 just the same, so that’s probably not part of the problem. The whole file is too big to upload, but I’m attaching one flow from it (the playback problem is the same in any case). I’m on Windows, BTW.
Symffoni - 3rd movement.dorico (1.7 MB)

The project plays back here exactly how I would expect from NP in Dorico 4. Does what you describe apply also to other NP projects? Would it be possible to post just a short audio sample for the sake of comparison?

Hi @Gareth_Glyn , please see here

I didn’t see this thread-- there are so many just now I can only catch a small percentage. Is this audio issue in any way related to performance problems with the BBC SO which crackles and drops out pretty regularly or something entirely different?

Yes, that´s the one

I shall give it a shot! Thanks, Ulf.

there’s something funny going on with larger buffer sizes… Decreasing it works wonders…

1 Like

disabling the ASIO guard if anything made things even worse with my BBC SO test file. However reducing my 1024 buffer to 512 has reduced the problem by probably around 60% and reducing it further to 256 (which would certainly have led to problems with my previous PC) reduces it a bit further still. Very odd, just as @fratveno says! Performance on this particular test file is still somewhat worse than Dorico 3.5 but it’s a handy workaround for the time being until you and your comrades quash the problem once and for all.

1 Like

Hi @Gareth_Glyn , please see here

It worked! Many thanks.