Reinstalled 5.1.1 and feeling at home again...

5.5.3 was the last version of V5.

My understanding was that the transparent events situation was fixed (maybe I am wrong, normally I’m not).

People move on, I don’t really have any animosity towards anyone on this forum and over time you tend to harden up when things get personal which is kind of impossible considering the international nature of the forum.

For me Cubase 7 is a dream come true with the brilliant Chord tools, since I never was a musician and now I don’t have to! :sunglasses:

Very cool SB

Totaly agree with you, but C7 does seem to have a few more dare I say it, bugs that it should! I’m in no doubt they will sort most of the biggies out quickly and I do like what I see.

But there are a few show stoppers, and thats the point.

No one is forcing me to upgrade and I’m happy to sit back and wait. I will most probably upgrade at some point.
Particularly a better implementation of the missing .vmx

For some people (like myself) who are professionals, upgrading is a matter of course; there is never a thought to the contrary as it is production ready due to inherently reliable core functions developed early on in the life of both the Nuendo and Cubase applications starting from V1 of the program.

Sure there has been hiccups along the way and situations that have needed to be ironed out but the current complaint running through forum threads around VMX import; are but another hurdle not insurmountable.

We must look to the future because there comes a time where even events beyond SB control will inevitably materialize, such as when the platforms upon which we work change and paradigm shifts are required and things like pops, squeaks, wails and groans begin to manifest in our speakers and operations come to a grinding halt; no longer can we work with old tools and they must be abandoned.

Letting aside the condescending tone, I am sincerely happy that you are in a state of ecstasy in the wonderful C7 world…

FWIW, this thread has only one reason to exist and it’s the following : if you don’t feel at ease or are experiencing glitches and issues with C7 at its present state, don’t hesitate to install C5.1 if you still have it at disposal :

• It works perfectly with W7/64
  • It uses less resources,
  • It has a complete and tweakable UI.

No more, no less, and I think that it could be useful for some here to know it.

Good sunday !

No one can expect a (new) manual to be written for each and every (including unsupported) updates.

Steinberg have always been the worst among all daw’s when it comes to achieving reliability & stability. Users have of course been hoping for better results over and over, but I personally just don’t believe in Steinberg anymore.

I’m definitely not trying to be condescending or am I in a state of ecstasy with Cubase 7.

I’m also on Cubase 6 still (could be Cubase 5 if I didn’t have 6) I have only installed Cubase 7 on a spare computer to learn it, as I knew from past experience that to start with the whole ride would be a very bumpy one.

I thought the whole point about Cubase versions was they could coexist on the same machine, so that nobody needs to reinstall Cubase 5 or 6 because Cubase 7 doesn’t erase a previous installation?

But this isn’t it for Cubase 7, it’s not all over, SB haven’t failed long term, it’s not the end of the line for Cubase.

All I was saying in effect is one year out from now 98% of the Cubase user base will be happily rocking on Cubase 7, even if that means, as you point out, using what your familiar and comfortable with right now.

Now whether SB should be putting out a release that’s clearly not being a smooth ride for some users is a totally different debate, and I grant you that the release of Cubase 7 appears to have been less than ideal, even if I’m happy to pay to get my hands on Cubase 7 so I can learn it and be ready to use it for serious projects when it has had a few more wrinkles ironed out.

… and a genuine Good Sunday to you too :slight_smile:

1. Indeed, and this is why I suggest to everyone here who are experiencing issues with C6/7 to reinstall C5.1 if they can : it won’t do any harm. For me, 5.1 is the most achieved Cubase version, letting aside the more or less useful features that were released since 5.5. I don’t say they are useless : I am just stating here that C5.1 is a perfect alternative for composing, tracking and mixing provided that you don’t absolutly need things such as the MixConsole or Variaudio 2. Again, it uses less resources and has all the useful UI features that since have been quietly but surely dropped without any warnings, one update after the other…

2. And here is where we disagree : it’s the one and only debate here and, IMHO, a new upgraded and payed version should NEVER ditch features that were existing in previous ones. Again, the .vmx files support and ‘Preferences/Work Area’ page dropped features comes immediatly to mind, but they are not the only ones. May I suggest you to look again at my first post and the attached screenshot ? You’ll then see what I mean…

All the best !

Yep, we’re a dying breed !
:wink:
How many of us are left 6, 7, … ??
Steinberg keeps shifting the focus.
Forcing users, demanding a certain level of professionalism, to jump ship …

You’re going backwards, bredo, me and others are constantly monitoring or ‘parallel using’ the competition.
Sign of the times …
:neutral_face:

Jan

Regarding the negative feeling on the forum,I think new users should be aware of the pitfalls of starting to work in cubase 7. All those who prefer to stick their heads in the sand and brush off these issues should realize that when someone has paid for something ,it should work and do what it says in all the marketing leading up to the release…looking back now, particularly the video of the dude nearly wetting himself with excitement over cubase a new features and workflow,you would think you would be buying something that does all that… Hence the negative vibe on these forums… For me, cubase 6.5 was and is still my fav Steinberg Daw regarding stability and workflow.

Good luck

Hey back up there! Automatics are for people who don’t like driving. :laughing:

All I have to add here:
I´m pretty pleased with C6.5 and will continue to use it.
C7 at the moment has to many issues, all of them were documented here several times by many users. What is even more of a problem: I´m afraid of the way of development Cubase has taken with this new version, afraid not to like it anymore, even when all the issues are solved in the future.
I never wasted a thought in jumping ship to a different DAW, still don´t do, so I sit here fingers crossed that all will turn out good, like most of the final versions did.

Why do I see this Emotive guy hijacking every single thread and harassing topic starters?
It is not your job to patrol these forums and defend steinberg.

Also, I have noticed you rarely have an answer that helps, its always some form of negative spin how the threadposter made something wrong or isnt pro enough to use the program of the gods.
I suggest you take off the fanboy mantle!

I’ll be honest : despite the UI regressions since 5.1, i was using 6.5 as my main Cubase version until now, pesting against the shaded/3D events display, the oversized Info line, etc. After porchasing C7 and installing it with its 7.0.1 ‘fix’, I realized that :

• There was no more ‘Preferences/Work area’ page (which is essential for tweaking the horizontal and vertical grids relative display), though clearly described in the C7 Operation manual (p. 705),
  • Suddenly, no more track settings save/load feature in the brand new ‘MixConsole’,
  • The project cursor changed to a horrible white ‘masked’ one, with the result that it became all blurry for 52 years old eyes such as mine,
  • The ‘Wrap controls’ feature doesn’t act as it should, leaving half displayed buttons in the group/FX tracks when reducing their vertical size.
  • The Overview line suddenly was changed for a flashy white background, which has nothing to do with the rest of the project window one,

Beside this : a significative ASIO usage and time loading increases, no matter if the ‘ASIO guard’ is activared or not… Add to this a useless ‘Remote Control Editor’ which was probably the advertized feature that decided me to upgrade…

No workaround for these after searching in every possible ways. These were the last straw, from which the 5.1 reinstall. I should have done this much sooner, after thinking of it and seeing how well 5.1 behaves with W7… About looking at the other side of the fence, I already did so (Sonar 8.5.3) and it has been a real pitfall : only cash and time waste. I won’t do it again unless Steiny suddenly get the idea of dropping what is remaining of the VST 2.x support.

cubic 13
I thought the intention of this thread was about the strength of C5.1 not another moaning thread about the same old things that have been reported so many times about 7

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Don’t feel the need to read the so called threads. Just hope that Steiny will realize that removing useful fearures one by one doesn’t get unnoticed by their several years old customers. And again, if you have the C5 DVDs, just try to reinstall it : you’ll probably be happily surprised. And, as we are on the C7 forum, it seems normal to me to discuss about it and point the problems that arised since its release.

Now, I don’t have any illusion : for your satisfaction, this thread will probably be, either locked, or buried in the german ‘Music lounge’ as sooner as tomorrow morning as it already happened for another thread of mine…

… or perhaps maybe not, if it’s seen by Japanese eyes. I feel the Steinberg attitude to customer feedback has been transformed since Yamaha got involved. What cubic13 has described are very valid points and although some may be a matter of taste, others are undeniably major issues for anyone who works constantly with Cubase.

One of the trends I see in many products is that developers are working with cutting-edge systems and there’s little regard for users who cannot afford the same hardware. C7 looks fantastic on dual HD monitors, but have any of the developers even seen it on a 6-year-old 1024x1280 LCD, which is still quite a common configuration and more than usable with a variety of music software?

I first looked to upgrade to SL3 but then Cubase 4 was announced, so I went with Studio 4 and then onto C4 after upgrading my hardware; these are years of my life I’ll never get back. The interesting thing is, C6 for example runs wonderfully on the same old system that struggled with C4 studio … despite repeated arguments that it was hardware issues that caused the ASIO glitches, same hardware, newer software and the problem vanishes.

In Steinberg’s defence, at least it is possible to maintain parallel installs of Cubase versions, so for example I have C7 alongside C6 … which I won’t be getting rid of any time soon. I personally won’t be going back to C5 or C4 :open_mouth: but it’s a perfectly rational thing to do if it fits the task.

Absolute reliability will never come from a x.0.0 version and to expect complete stability at this point is likely unreasonable.

It won’t happen straight away but it will happen.

I’d much rather be there from the beginning and have access to more features over the development cycle, than have a version every 2 years or so with limited updates in between.

Nothing has been “removed” intentionally, rather the disappearance of any said feature(s) is an unintended consequence of the software development process.

Right, which is the reason Steinberg offer end users the opportunity to work with an initial compile of untested code.

What du you believe to add to my statement with yours? Or did you try to contradict?

I was trying to point out that Cubase 7 >for me< has passed a critcal point in it´s year-long positiv development.
And you´re trying to take me on a adventurous joyride to watch the bigfixing process of more or less useful new features???

keep on increasing your post count with more sensless stuff like that…but let me tell you: your devote C7 worship won´t help to improve OUR software of choice!

Hi, MrSoundman and thanks for chiming in !

We will quickly see what we can expect from Steiny attitude : just hope you are right.

About reverting to a previous version, it’s indeed the kind of move that each and everyone of us here can evaluate by him/herself. I would never have imagined to be at the point to do so, only few weeks ago, honestly.

I don’t want this thread to go out of control. I just wanted here to do a testimony about the fact that C5.1 is perfectly working on a W7/64 based DAW and, from which, can be used without problem in parallel with C6 or 7, for anyone who, as me, is frustrated by the recent Cubase evolution and I already stated why in my previous posts. It doesn’t prevent in anyway the use of the more recent Cubase versions. I will personally keep what is already installed, hoping that someday, C7 will match my real needs again.

I just don’t understand why features that were useful and perfectly working are slowly disappearing, one after the other, as new updates’ are released and, TBH, I don’t expect an answer from Steinberg about this precise way of doing things, anymore…

Cheers,