Rejection of digital emulations - just arrogant behaviour?

For my solo project, if I could, I’d have a Hiwatt 100 head and whatever David Gilmour uses as cabs.

Too bad I can’t. :wink:

But the emulation provided by Line6 is really good. I like it a lot

And line6 is now owned by yamaha. Reason quit using line6. Can we read between the line6 sorry lines

Must not be a bad thing when Yamaha takes over a company … I’m trying to think of an example … there was a company that develops a really good DAW software and some very good vsti’s … can’t remember the name, I’m sorry.

no not negative at all. I think there is a possibility that we could imagine some of the line6 stuff being part of cubase in the future. I could use more flavours of distortion for keyboard drums … and what not.
b.t.w speaking of Yamaha any of you guitar players tried the Yamaha THR10 ?
I was pretty stunned hearing that one, didn’t expect that.

Ah ok. I misunderstood you. :smiley: I don’t know if the DSP-Ampsims of the UR-Series are based on line6. But I like them. Sound quite good.

still seems like a line6 job with a different hat on,i think these digital amp makers should change their marketing strategy by not saying that they are trying to copy a valve amp and just market it as a digital amp, D.A . end of story . By saying they are copying a valve amp or whatever ,they are putting themselves on the backfoot and appearing second best anyway ,even valve amp makers copy each other but they dont say so .end of the day they are all just glorified fuzz boxs

I’ve had a zillion tube amps over the years, I still have a couple in the studio but my favourite amp these days is a Fender Mustang III V2 MODELLING amp. It sounds amazing! I also have a Yamaha THR5 which is also awesome for practice, also a modelling amp.As a guitar player, I still like the sound of an amp moving air but in the studio I use amp sims mostly. Amlitube, Guiatr Rig, S-Gear etc.

I’ve been playing tube amps since the 70s and when the Pod & other stuff came along, I gave it a try. I still have a red Pod Pro in my rack. It just wasn’t quite right. The only thing I ever used it for was a rectified sound since I didn’t have a Boogie.

A year or so ago, a friend comes over with his new Line 6 HD rig, and I was impressed. The quality of the tones, the responsiveness when playing, the general feel. Tech advanced to the tipping point and they finally got it right.

I now run a Pod HD Pro. The Marshall, Fender, et all (even my beloved Voodu Valve) are now sitting off to the side and I’m working exclusively through the Pod. I would imagine that someone with golden ears and unlimited time to twist knobs could find many differences between the emulation and the actual amps, and I don’t doubt that they exist. To me, however, all that matters is what comes out of the speakers. And I love the ability to match one head with some random other cabinet, mic, etc. to come up with whatever sound I want at the moment.

In fairness, I’m a simple creature. A cover band I’m putting together at the moment is doing more than a few AC/DC songs, so perhaps to me, the tones are just “close enough for rock and roll.” But as long as they are, I love the flexibility and programmability.

For me, it took a few generations for the sound and feel to get where I wanted it. For others, first gen stuff was good. And for some, there will never be a substitute for red hot tubes.

Amp vs sim. Is one better than the other? No more than blue is better than green.

I also started using the GPO (Garritan Personal Orchestra) vst plugin many years ago. It was only a couple hundred bucks, and very realistic sound.

For a time I hung out on their forums and even ran an Internet radio station featuring the works of forum members. Most of them aren’t grabbing it for a quick string section like me, they were doing full on orchestral pieces.

One instance I remember being impressed with was a few guys who would sequence an arrangement to a classical piece, and then put together a recording of a live orchestra doing it cutting back and forth to the GPO version. You’re not going to replace a virtuoso violinist performing the lead, but for ensemble productions it was almost indistinguishable. Very impressive.

Given a choice, it would be great to hire a full orchestra. However, when you only have two hundred bucks and it sounds this close, you’re talking an extreme bang for the buck.

If you get the sound your going for, then it really doesn’t matter whether its sim or HW.
Of course if you’re going for someone elses sound, the story might be a bit different.

Well, I’m not big on going for someone else’s sound, but I’ll go for coffee if someone else is buying. :slight_smile:

I mainly use samples so for the most part it’s of little concern but I do have a soft spot for emulations because they are an awesome writing tool particularly on platforms such as SonicCore.

Emulations are just that, but if you can trigger the real thing via MIDI then more power to you.

I dont think can really honestly ignore all the real pieces of awesome gear out there. Your sims will get you close but there will always be variations.

Hell, even individual pieces of the same analog gear will sound slightly different that is well known.

I think that all the sims and emus out there serve there purpose but dont in anyway replace that gear.

I think that it would all be too boring if it did.