Relations between techniques

Hi,

I imported VSL’s Vienna Smart Orchestra XP expression map for Cubase, and changed the first ‘long’ articulation to Natural. It seems that it is ready as it is for Dorico. The basic articulations seem to be immediately recognized.

I don’t know exactly what to do with the techniques added by VSL’s xmap. I know how to adda new playing techique to an expression map, but I don’t know how to do the opposite.

How can I transform an entry in an xmap into a playing techinque? This is how I think it works:

1. In Write or Engrave mode, create a new playing technique.
  2. In the Expression Maps dialog, double click the name of the technique, and in the Playing Technique Combination dialog select the playing technique you created at step 1.

The technique name in the expression map will change to the name of the playing technique.

Is this correct?

Paolo

Yet, I don’t understand.

While in the Expression Maps dialog, I double click one of the “techniques” in the list.

What opens is a list named Playing Technique Combinations. I was expecting this contained the “playing technique” I could access from the Engrave mode > Edit Playing Techniques dialog.

What I seem to see is, on the contrary, the list of “playback playing techniques”, that can be accessed from a sub-dialog in the Edit Playing Techniques, named Edit Playback Playing Techniques.

At this point, I believe the “playing techniques” that I can access from the right pane in Write mode are linked to the “techniques” in the Expression Maps dialog via the common “playback playing techniques” assigned to both.

However, the name of the Playing Technique Combinations dialog confuses me. I’m not sure if the name of the dialog is wrong, or I simply don’t get some passage.

Paolo