Remote Control + Novation Nocturn...

Hey,
I’m trying to setup my Nocturn (with Automap) to do some basic control in WL7. I’ve got it working in principle, but there are wildcards:

1. WL seems to be assigning CC# that are +1 from what the Nocturn is sending. So, according to the Nocturn, it is sending a value on CC# 51, but when assigning WL is receiving that as CC# 52. I didn’t see any other MIDI options for a 0-127/1-128 offset (if that’s the issue).

2. The ‘button mode’ that various commands in WL are expecting is not clear-- Are commands (record, stop, drop marker, etc.) expecting momentary or toggle values? I’ve experimented some, but it’s not totally clear with the commands I’m using, and pretty tedious trial-and-error.

3. I’m a little confused by the logic of the shortcuts & control system, in general. It’s obviously very powerful, which is great. But where to find things is a little confusing-- From the Record window, there is a Shortcuts button to get to set commands for things in that window. These things don’t seem to appear in the global Customize Commands window, although some of them have the same name (some do not). Some functions can be set from the Customize Commands window by simply setting the MIDI shortcut; Others appear in the Remote Control setup window, and I think some appear in both (?). The complexity here, plus the lack of comprehensive documentation, is making this tougher for me than it is probably intended to be.

Can PG or someone who has worked with this system more than I have point me in a clearer direction?

Thanks,
Brian

1. WL seems to be assigning CC# that are +1 from what the Nocturn is sending. So, according to the Nocturn, it is sending a value on CC# 51, but when assigning WL is receiving that as CC# 52. I didn’t see any other MIDI options for a 0-127/1-128 offset (if that’s the issue).

This is just a display convention, if we start from 0 or 1. Don’t care about this.

1. The ‘button mode’ that various commands in WL are expecting is not clear-- Are commands (record, stop, drop marker, etc.) expecting momentary or toggle values? I’ve experimented some, but it’s not totally clear with the commands I’m using, and pretty tedious trial-and-error.

I’m not sure I understand what you say. Please give me 1 accurate example.
Anyway: there are buttons with are associated to an On/Off state (state On/Off can be displayed on the device), and some other buttons are just “triggers”.

1. I’m a little confused by the logic of the shortcuts & control system, in general. It’s obviously very powerful, which is great. But where to find things is a little confusing-- From the Record window, there is a Shortcuts button to get to set commands for things in that window. These things don’t seem to appear in the global Customize Commands window, although some of them have the same name (some do not). Some functions can be set from the Customize Commands window by simply setting the MIDI shortcut; Others appear in the Remote Control setup window, and I think some appear in both (?). The complexity here, plus the lack of comprehensive documentation, is making this tougher for me than it is probably intended to be.

The shortcuts displayed in the Record dialog, are only active when the focus in on this window.

Philippe

Thanks PG…

OK, then regarding #1, why is WL offset by 1 CC#? I confirmed this with another app that reads incoming MIDI info: When the controller sends CC# 27, WL reads it as #28, for example.

My question with #2 is mainly whether these button behaviors are documented, or I need to figure out which is which?

More coming…
Thanks,
Brian

1. I had the choice. I retained the solution that seems to be most common.
  2. If a WaveLab state can be “externalized”, then the Midi menu shows an additional entry.
    There is no case by case documentation.

Ah, oh I get it…So WL really is reading an input of CC #27 from that controller as #27, but just displaying #28. Well, good to know that’s all that’s happening, although it does add a layer of potential confusion. Thanks for the clarification.

The confusion is not in WaveLab specifically, but in the fact that MIDI is spoken of in both ways in different places and at different times. Either choice would have been wrong for someone. Of course, a setting to select the preferred base would not be impossible…

Paul