Removing instrument numbering?

If the leading space messes up your layout in some way (like when instrument names are left-aligned) another trick i’ve used in the past is to change one letter in the instrument name to its Cyrillic homoglyph. There aren’t many words which don’t contain any of ABCEHKMOPTXYaceopxy .
Of course, this only works if you use a text font which actually supports Cyrillic.

1 Like

This would be a GREAT addition, if one was able to remove instrument numberings in a future version.

I am working on a percussion ensemble that I had to shelve for the moment. It has Players 1-8. Player 1 in movement 1 plays the Orchestra Bells, Bongos, and cowbell. In movement 2, player 1 plays the Orchestra Bells and crash cymbals. However, in movement 2, Player 3 plan the Bongos. Player 3 shows “Bongos 2” as the instrument.

Not necessarily a huge of deal of course. But the instrument change text shows the instrument label with the number in some instances. And overall, the numbering is unnecessary for this work (the instrumentation page says you need 2 sets of bongos).

I understand all of the work arounds, but I would prefer a more natural implementation. Such as a right-click menu on the instrument under the player card, where an option might be “Don’t include numbering in instrument name”.

Robby

1 Like

Such flexibility would be useful for me too. I’m working on critical scores of musical theater works. I do want Trumpets numbered 1-3, likewise Trombones. But among the (typically) 5 doubling Reed players, as many as 4 may be playing the same instruments (Clarinets or Flutes), and I don’t want them numbered Clarinet 1 to Clarinet 4 – that’s not how they function (lead clarinet may be Reed 3). So it would be wonderful to just turn off automatic numbering for those woodwinds.

A feature to support this would help me too. My use case is: I want to change instrument ordering between flows. However, that’s not possible to do. Instead I am adding “duplicate” players which are active/inactive in various flows, thus creating the proper player order per flow. However, having these duplicate players results in numbering the players, which I need to avoid, since these “duplicate players” all represent one real player in the end (and there is no flow in which two “duplicate” players would ever be active at the same time, since this workaround is just to achieve the effect of different player orders per flow).

So I guess the best solution for me right now is to add an extra space in front of instrument names?

Yes, that would be the best approach for now.

Or put players in separate player groups, even if that group only contains one player. Players in separate groups aren’t numbered together.

2 Likes

Helpful indeed. Another “feature” that is non-standard and leaves you spending 10-minutes online trying to figure out how to correct. There is so much time wasted just trying to correct this program’s “helpful” defaults.

It’s ridiculous that there are this many places to edit instrument names, and you still have to remember a workaround for a basic problem.