Removing rests — again

Looking for ideas. Especially with rhythm section instruments, I am constantly having to remove rests from voices, which then often reappear when I make changes to the score later on. It feels a little like whack-a-mole. In a piano or drum part, I might have a voice with upstems, one with downstems, one stemless slash voice, one stemmed slash voice. That’s a LOT of rests, and feels particularly unnerving when they’re mostly whole/bar rests. Anyone have any productivity suggestions?

@jjm_335 besides using Start Voice, End Voice and Remove Rest there are some Notation Options for rests:

2 Likes

Appreciate the info. I’m not sure these options help much because the situations are so varied, especially considering that other staves/instruments benefit from different options. I don’t actually use drum kit staves for drum parts because I often include standard notation on those staves as well.

1 Like

That’s a good description LOL! I feel like I end up dealing with this all the time as well. I also often use “regular” staff for drum notation too, but typically wait and write the drum parts last. Even then, I might write something that restarts a voice and I’ll get whole rests appearing back several pages in the score. It definitely can be pretty frustrating. Going back, finding the voice, and clicking Ends Voice can be faster than a ton of Remove Rests work, but this is still quite a pain. Having notation changing off-screen on another page is a pretty unnerving experience.

2 Likes

Yes! This happens all the time. I sometimes get confused using the “ends voice” option, and I’m afraid that if I click it at some point it might end up removing rests down the line that I do not want removed.

One thing that makes it much easier for me, in case you don’t know: You don’t have to select just the rests. If you want to hide all the rests in a passage, you can select the whole passage and Remove Rests operates only on the rests.

True, and while that does work sometimes it does not help when there are other rests within that passage that cannot be removed. An eighth rest here, a quarter rest there, means that one still has to be very “selective”.