Removing the final rest in a flow in a part

Hello all.

I’m working on the parts for a chamber opera and have hit a problem.

The left side of the following image shows the final bar in a scene (full score), which is also the end of a flow. There’s an ‘attacca’ instruction and a cautionary time signature, which I had to create by including an extra bar at the end of the flow, deleting (or shrinking to 1%) the rests, manually adjusting the staff spacing, and manually adjusting the bar numbering from the first bar of the next scene / flow. On the right hand side are the equivalent two bars in the clarinet part i.e. the actual last bar of music and what should be the hidden bar:

I am unable to remove or hide the rest in the clarinet part. I can drag the multibar ‘1’ off the page, but the rest itself remains. I’ve tried rescaling it, adjusting the transparency, manually entering the rest and then using the ‘Edit / Remove Rests’, but without any success.

Is there a way of achieving my goal or do I need to think creatively about how to hide that final bar? I’m wondering if it has something to do with using multi bar rests, but to turn this off would be impractical.

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

I’m not sure I can think of an especially clever way around this. I think even if you try to create a split multi-bar rest at that point, you’ll still get the one-bar multi-bar rest at that point, and that means you can’t do a great deal with the rest, e.g. change its colour or scale factor. Perhaps somebody more nefarious than I am has a better idea.

We hope to provide better support for attacca joins between flows in a future version, though it’s not completely straightforward so it’s not something I am expecting us to work on imminently.

Thanks for having a think about it, Daniel - quite a niche issue!

For anyone who’s interested, my workaround produces a neat result:

Create a blank JPEG (not PNG) and import it into a graphics frame on top of the final bar (which I have already made as narrow as possible using manual staff spacing). I did this in Photoshop: created a new A5 size document and saved it at lowest quality setting.*

It makes sense to do this after making all other engraving adjustments so that the frame can be locked first.


  • I tried to do this entirely within Dorico by creating a new graphics slice over a blank section of the score and saving it as a TIFF (PNG would be completely transparent), but then I was unable to re-import a TIFF to a graphics frame.