Rename Plug-ins

The title says it all.
I’m sure it’s easy to implement so please.

4 Likes

+1 I would love to see the ability to add aliases added to the Plug-in Manager.

Maybe a little off topic, but I would also like to see an option to set a default color in the Plug-in manager. The default color would be applied to the tracks in the arranger and inserts in the mixer automatically when adding a VST / VSTi to the project.

+1. We have been asking for this for years:

+1

Rename/aliases for plugins would be nice.

Bonus points: allow it to be done via the new browser by right-clicking, and having a Rename Plugin option in the context menu. Once a plugin has been renamed, then show an option in the context menu to “Restore Plugin Name.” Easy-peasey.

+1

+1

+1

+1

+1

+1

+1

+1

Although I’ve done this manually (which is usually frowned upon by developers) by modifying the “vst3plugins.xml” file for VST3s & the “VST2xPlugins Infos Cubase.xml” file for VST2s, it would be preferable to have a bona fide built-in feature to take care of this.

4 Likes

first of all +1!
thinking about doing this as well, since i’m almost exclusively working with fabfilter plugs and identifying plugins in the mixer is pure guesswork. does anyone have any experience with update-compatibilty - both on fabfilter’s and the cubase’s side? i really don’t wanna risk messing anything up.

Aside having to redo the short name version of an updated plugin, I have not encountered any problems at all with this method. Mind you, I have not updated my Cubase 9.5.41 to version 10. When and if I do, I will be renaming them all again (I don’t have many plugins making this process quite easy and fast). If you do go ahead with this, make a backup of said file before you begin. :sunglasses:

Note: 1 bold instance is the plugin name as it will appear when used as an insert or send and the other is the name you see in the “Plugin Manager”. Yes, they can be different, which is kinda cool. And again, without any ill effect that I’ve noticed.

Good luck!

+1 (again)

+1
it will make live so easy :slight_smile: … some plugins are named really ridiculous

thanks a lot Panther! i’ll give it a try. let’s hope steinberg will implement smtg in the future though, this feature is long overdue.

UPDATE:
unfortunately, i’ve had no luck getting this to work. tried in Cubase 9 and 10. replaced both positions mentioned (Audio Module Class and Component Controller Class), no change after rebooting Cubase, neither in the mixer, nor in the plugin-manager, re-scanning in plugin manager also didn’t help. i’ve read multiple threads on this but haven’t found what i’m doing wrong…

i’m guessing i’ve somehow changed the wrong file. is this the correct one?
Cub10: C:\Users<name>\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Cubase 10_64\Cubase Pro VST3 Cache\vst3plugins.xml
Cub9: C:\Users<name>\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Cubase 9_64\Cubase Pro VST3 Cache\vst3plugins.xml

any help would be hugely appreciated!
thanks in advance!

Cub9: C:\Users<name>\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Cubase 9**.5**_64\Cubase Pro VST3 Cache\vst3plugins.xml

You most likely have as you possibly have many versions in that “Steinberg” folder. When editing the right file, you’ll see the change in your “Plugin Manager” as soon as you restart Cubase. I also suggest going to the “Issues” forum or PMs if you need further help. :wink:

PM sounds great. will do that now! thanks.

UPDATE:
ok, got this working now. real simple (but VST3 plugs MUST be in their default install location for it to work!).