Renaming and deleting instruments held by a player

I’m having difficulty in Dorico 4 running on Mac (Big Sur).

This is in a file imported from Sibelius.

I need to rename or delete instruments held by a player, but it just doesn’t seem to work as the manual says. The manual says:

1. In the Players panel, expand the card of the player holding the instrument you want to delete.
  2. Click the arrow that appears in the instrument label when you hover over it and choose Delete Instrument.

I can do part 1, but nothing appears when I hover over the instrument label. Right-clicking gives me only the options relating to the player, not to the instrument. It’s the same issue when trying to rename.

I’ve solved it. You have to LEFT click on the three dots to the right of the instrument name.

The manual needed rewriting here.

The behavior changed in Dorico 4. The manual will catch up in time.

Hi David, could you share the link to the page you were reading? I suspect you landed on older documentation, because I definitely updated this page for Dorico 4.

In 3.5, instrument labels were only as long as the instrument name, but dynamically got longer to show an arrow when the mouse pointer hovered over them. In 4, they’re always the same length and always show the … instrument menu button.

Single/left-clicking that button should work to access the instrument menu – right-clicking will probably open the player menu?

It is here:

and here:

The first link specifically says Dorico 3.1 but the second does not specify a version (though I see now v1 is in the URL). These were all I could find on this topic.

Yes, those are from the v3 and v1 manuals respectively. The version number (or lack thereof) in the top left is probably the most important clue to the manual version, but the number in the URL and the overall look & feel of pages are also indicative (compare how the v1 link you posted looks to the v4 link I posted).

We are also still looking to implement something that potentially directs you to the latest manual if you land on an older page, and also potentially makes it easier to switch between languages. Good things etc.