Render in Place creating stereo files from mono files

I am using UAD, to render files, so does anyone know why this might be the case?

Also, the resulting tracks are not being routed to the original destination.

What do you mean by this?

Have you tried using Render In Place?

Hi,

As per title, I am using UAD to render mono files, but stereo files are being produced. Also, the Output Routing is not preserved on the resulting tracks.

Cheers

I don’t know what that means either; is there a function by UAD that renders files? That’s how it sounds here. But let’s assume that he’s using the ‘render in place’ function in Cubase.
With that said, I didn’t know that the ‘render in place’ function could produce a mono file. If it can, please let me know. It has a check box saying ‘render to one file’ but that’s if you are rendering more than one file; it will output multiple selected files to one file, but it will still be stereo. I don’t see anything that says ‘render to a mono file’.
Again, with that said, Cubase 13 can change a mono file to stereo or stereo to mono with one click; problem solved. Hope this helps.

UAD is a company, a brand name, which makes a bunch of different products. These range from hardware like Audio Interfaces and compressors to software including a broad range of plugins. There is nothing out there which is simply named “UAD” - it’s like you are saying you use Yamaha to make lunch.

How are you using this UAD thing? Describe what you are doing, what you expect to happen, and what actually occurs. Screenshots can often be helpful.

Apologies, I am using UAD2 VST3 plug-in’s.

Simply, I am using Render in Place for mono audio parts on mono tracks to render mono files but it is creating stereo files on stereo tracks, that are not routed to the original destination, i.e., Group Track.

Thanks

set up a key command and use export. I’ve a feeling you need to use a work around to get mono render in place by routing to a mono group first which makes it easier to just export.

Do a search here as this has been mentioned before. iirc.

M

Render in Place will render mono events to mono if you choose ‘Dry’ in the Processing section. This option will also copy any plugin instances to the new track. All other processing options will create events according to the output channel configuration of the source track - which would normally be what you want if your effects are stereo!

If you want to create a mono event which includes the effects recorded in mono into the resulting event then you could set up a ‘dummy’ mono output bus in Audio Connections (which doesn’t have to be connected to anything) and temporarily route the source track to this before using Render in Place.

2 Likes

Well the post I made has certainly answered two questions for me. Thank you Raino; I didn’t know UAD had that plugin; I have a UAD2 card and a dozen or more plugins or course, but I haven’t been shopping there of late.
And thank you Stingray for that Render in Place tip to use ‘Dry’ for a mono clip to stay mono. I hope Compositor has his issue solved. Good forum.

Do you really need the resulting Track to be Mono, or would just toggling the Stereo/Mono Button meet your needs (assuming you are on Cubase 13).

Also a lot of folks here, myself included, always Record Mono content onto Stereo Tracks, which still sounds like Mono on playback. It just simplifies things by never having to deal with or think about some things being Stereo and others Mono.

I would prefer it yes, particularly for basses and guitars.

My settings, are:

• As one event
  • Complete signal path
  • 32 bit float
  • Mute source events

Also, using dry simply duplicates the part, and re-adds effects.

I am only interested in layering up effects, since I have a low powered DSP effects processor and machine.

Sorry but no it doesn’t - it records all automation, fades and volume into the new audio event.

In that case, please note the details of the solution I posted above.

If your effects are stereo (I’m guessing they probably are), then it would be preferable and the normal expectation that printing the effects using Render in Place should give you a stereo result. So I’d suggest it is perfectly normal that Render in Place should give you a stereo result. What audio effects are you using? Are they mono effects or stereo effects?

If you are using the complete signal path then the result will correspond with the number of channels in that signal path. If you wanted mono you’d have to temporarily route to a mono bus prior to using RIP.

1 Like

UAD2 VST3

That would absolutely kill my workflow, surely there must be an easier way!

That doesn’t tell me much. Which ones? was what I had in mind and are they stereo or mono/.

I don’t know of one with Render in Place set to complete signal path.

You might consider using Export Audio Mixdown set to ‘Export as: Mono Downmix’ instead (with After Export: Create Audio Track active).

1 Like

Do you still do this in Cubase 13?
Just curious, as I have not dived deep into C13 yet.

Absolutely. It’s been a quite awhile since I switched, but it’s one of those things where you think “why didn’t I do that years earlier?”

While Cubase 13 did introduce a Stereo/Mono Button that’s only useful for Stereo content. For Mono content on a Stereo Track engaging the Mono Button won’t really change it, outside of a potential level shift based on your Pan Law settings.

Glad to see the Mono Button added, but it doesn’t really impact how I record Mono content.

Ok, I see… I thought the other way around… Tracking to mono tracks, and then switch to stereo if needed :wink:

I am fully aware of the old method of recording mono sources to stereo tracks. One of the best workarounds we have discussed in the forums through times :slight_smile:

Sorry, I meant that only in relation to the actual recorded Audio. But in the context of a mix you might want to change the Mono Channel to Stereo like you suggest, for example to apply a Stereo effect.

That’s actually a good example - if you have a Project which contains both Mono & Stereo Tracks, you have to keep track of which is which and make sure to convert between them as needed. Where if all the Tracks are Stereo then you never have to worry or even think about mismatching anything.

Absolutely so… I agree :slight_smile: