Render in Place issue?

So Render in Place is looking to be an AMAZING addition. I’ve run into a snag though and wanted to see if this was by design or if it is a bug needing squashing.

-I have a VEPro instance in an instrument track connected to a slave computer.
-There are 8 stereo outputs for that instrument (vlns, vlns short, violas, violas short, celli, celli short, CB, CB short)
-The 8 stereo VI outputs have their outputs bussing to either a “Strings Long” or “Strings Short” Group Channel.

The problem is: When I Render in place, all the audio tracks created don’t copy the corresponding bus output, but instead have their output set to the main “Stereo Out”.

HOWEVER if I set all the 8 stereo VI outputs to buss to the SAME Group channel (i.e.: “Strings Long”) then the created audio tracks all have their output set to Strings Long as well.

I’m just wondering if this is a bug or not. Hopefully I explained the issue well enough. It would be nice to have Render get the right outputs for the rendered tracks even if the Multi VSTi has different outputs bussing to different groups.

Any insight would be helpful. Thanks!

When I try to render in place on a VEP Midi track, I end up with an audio track for each output in the multi.

So if I try to render ‘Violins I’, I’ll get that file, but also a track for ‘Violins II, Violas…etc’.

I can quite figure it out!

When I do it, I just get audio for the particular MIDI track. I can even render individual clips -which is a nice surprise. I wonder is it something to do with the RIP setup.

Hi John, I’ve got mine set to ‘Dry’, is that how yours is configured?

https://www.steinberg.net/nc/en/support/knowledgebase_new/show_details/kb_show/cubase-8-versionhistory-and-issues-and-solutions.html

issue ID: BON-6310

Aha! Thanks ckon.

A quick update for VEP users (this might apply to other Multis but not sure).

You need to select ‘Complete Signal Path’, not ‘Channel Settings’ in the Render setup dialogue.

The ‘Mixdown to one track’ checkbox is greyed out for me.

I have tried all these suggestions, but still run into the issue that if you have multiple outs active from a VSTi and each those out are NOT all going to the SAME bus, the rendering process will make all the resulting audio files go to the default stereo out in Cubase instead of where the original VSTi outs were being bussed.

Again if all the VSTi multi-outs are going to the SAME bus, then the resulting render tracks end up with the proper bus output.

ANOTHER issue I discovered is that EQ, Inserts and Sends are NOT carried over for Multi-Out VSTi’s.

To illustrate what I have:
-VEPro VSTi outputs-
->Violins Long (with EQ and FX send) ->Strings Long (Group Channel) ->Stereo Out
->Violins Short (with EQ and FX send) ->Strings Short (Group Channel) ->Stereo Out
->Violas Long (with EQ and FX send) ->Strings Long (Group Channel) ->Stereo Out
->Violas Short (with EQ and FX send) ->Strings Short (Group Channel) ->Stereo Out
->Celli Long (with EQ and FX send) ->Strings Long (Group Channel) ->Stereo Out
->Celli Short (with EQ and FX send) ->Strings Short (Group Channel) ->Stereo Out
->Basses Long (with EQ and FX send) ->Strings Long (Group Channel) ->Stereo Out
->Basses Short (with EQ and FX send) ->Strings Short (Group Channel) ->Stereo Out

What I was hoping/expecting to get after render using “Dry” option:
-Separate Audio Tracks-
->Violins Long (with EQ and FX send) ->Strings Long (Group Channel) ->Stereo Out
->Violins Short (with EQ and FX send) ->Strings Short (Group Channel) ->Stereo Out
->Violas Long (with EQ and FX send) ->Strings Long (Group Channel) ->Stereo Out
->Violas Short (with EQ and FX send) ->Strings Short (Group Channel) ->Stereo Out
->Celli Long (with EQ and FX send) ->Strings Long (Group Channel) ->Stereo Out
->Celli Short (with EQ and FX send) ->Strings Short (Group Channel) ->Stereo Out
->Basses Long (with EQ and FX send) ->Strings Long (Group Channel) ->Stereo Out
->Basses Short (with EQ and FX send) ->Strings Short (Group Channel) ->Stereo Out

What I get using “Dry” option:
-Separate Audio Tracks-
->Violins Long ->Stereo Out
->Violins Short ->Stereo Out
->Violas Long ->Stereo Out
->Violas Short ->Stereo Out
->Celli Long ->Stereo Out
->Celli Short ->Stereo Out
->Basses Long ->Stereo Out
->Basses Short ->Stereo Out
—EQ and Sends were not carried over and Bussing assignments were lost—

What I get if I set all the multi-outs to the same bus (Strings Long) using “Dry” option:
-Separate Audio Tracks-
->Violins Long ->Strings Long (Group Channel) ->Stereo Out
->Violins Short ->Strings Long (Group Channel) ->Stereo Out
->Violas Long ->Strings Long (Group Channel) ->Stereo Out
->Violas Short ->Strings Long (Group Channel) ->Stereo Out
->Celli Long ->Strings Long (Group Channel) ->Stereo Out
->Celli Short ->Strings Long (Group Channel) ->Stereo Out
->Basses Long ->Strings Long (Group Channel) ->Stereo Out
->Basses Short ->Strings Long (Group Channel) ->Stereo Out
—Bussing assignment was maintained, but EQ and Sends were not carried over—

RIP is a godsend for me even if it only works properly for single-out VSTi’s for now. It would be AMAZING however if rendering multiout VSTi’s worked as expected. Basically I was hoping for the same result you get when you FREEZE a multiout VSTi except that the audio tracks would be visable in Cubase instead of hidden away under the interface as they are with a freeze.

I guess I should also mention this is with multiple MIDI tracks. VSTi’s seem to render slightly differently if there is MIDI only on the main track. I will continue to investigate.