Render in Place observations.......

I’ve been experimenting with RIP and have found a couple of things i wanted to pass on. If you render an “Instrument Track” and set the RIP settings to Disable Source Track it also removes the VSTi instrument from memory as well which is great.

If the VSTi is a “Rack Instrument” fed by a separate midi track/s you can have the settings mute the midi track but the instruments stays in memory, not so good.!

Also if you want to go back and re edit your source midi track and then re render it, the process is less convenient/more complex to me compared to the old un-Freeze, do your midi edits then re-freeze method, so good to have multiple options i guess.

If the VSTi is a “Rack Instrument” fed by a separate midi track/s you can have the settings mute the midi track but the instruments stays in memory, not so good.!

In my case, it’s good. Because I usually have other channels in the rack instrument.

But I guess you want to erase only that channel from memory. For that to happen, I believe there must be something like a new VST technology (if not already available) to let Cubase control the VSTi in a more detailed way. (For example, it could say to Kontakt, “Hey, delete your instrument on channel 3!”)

In fact, if VSTi interaction within Cubase improves, what you said can be achieved, along with other features such as… again Kontakt as an example, when you add a new sound inside Kontakt with midi channel 5, and Cubase will automatically provide the midi track that’s set to control channel 5 on that specific instance of Kontakt. That’s like the most repetitive thing I do all the time.

I think I should make a “Repetitive DAW-Function Injury” kind of topic while I am at it… :confused:

Sonic

yep i’m definitely suffering from “RDFI” :slight_smile:

Also if you want to go back and re edit your source midi track and then re render it, the process is less convenient/more complex to me compared to the old un-Freeze, do your midi edits then re-freeze method,

Studio one2 implemented this very well… hope in C8.5 steinberg can achieve it too… they call it track transform or something similar.
looks very convenient !!

So, is anyone saying that you can, in fact, do RIP on MIDI tracks (not MIDI parts in instrument tracks)?

The manual says this:

You can render the following:
•Audio tracks
•Instrument tracks
•Audio events or parts on audio tracks
•MIDI parts on instrument tracks
•Range selections on audio or instrument tracks
•Range selections on multiple audio or instrument tracks

Note the “on instrument tracks” qualification on “MIDI parts”. I have not had a chance to experiment yet, but I was most disappointed in what I saw in the manual.

its possible to render midi tracks (if assigned to vst instrument of course)
Cubase 8 Render in place explained (video)

So it does … very good news. Thanks for the link.