Render Second Pass For Exporting Seamless Audio Loops

Exporting loops in music and sound design for games is essential. But as soon as you put any processor like EQ on a track, Nuendo doesn’t export looping audio filesany more. There’s a pop.

Also if you want to export a loop with a reverb and you want to fold the reverb tail around to the beginning of the file to make the loop work is only possible by copying clips and then exporting bigger regions and cutting them again. Tedious.

Other DAWs have solved these issues. It’s very simple. Add an option “Render Second Pass”. It plays the selected time region once with all processing, also reverb, and then it plays it again while enable recording. It only records the second pass.

All reverb is comfortably wrapped around, no tedious copying, bounce in place, editing… It’s a one click operation, as it should be. Should be simple enough to implement and it goes a long way for people creating dozens or hundreds of loops for music and game sounds, ambiences and such.

It’s been wished many times before, but in order not to forget, and to say I’m still interested in it, I wanted to give this topic a refresher on this forum.

5 Likes

+1

thanks. it seems not to be a common problem but in games and when producing loops it would come in super handy! it certainly would not be complicated to implement.

+100 should be treated as high priority finally!!!
Currently loop creation is unnecessarily tedious.

I think your request is very welcome but to be honest, it’ doesn’t seem that difficult to create a 3 bar loop and just export the 2nd bar and create minimal fades (1ms in and out) with a basic wave batch editor. Can you give an audible example of the pop and how it influences the sound?

How other’s do it:

• Mark time or bars
  • Export: 2nd pass.

How to do it in Nuendo:

• Copy section 3x, mess up your project or put it at the end somewhere.
  • Mark time selection for those 3 copies
  • Export
  • Open in completely different software
  • Find the exact place, fiddle around with the timing, try to cut exactly the repeating bar to get a loopable sample for your project tempo

If you do this once, it might not be a problem, but if you do this time and time again, you see how much of a speedup this simple function would give, making you more efficient.

+100000!

I can’t believe we’re in version 11 already and we don’t have a simple way of creating seamless loops without pops or clicks.
Nuendo sells itself as the best game audio solution for sound designers, but it’s hard to accept that kind of issue (even more when you know you’ve paid a lot for it and such a basic feature like export 2nd pass is not implemented).

3 Likes

Also looking to see this implemented

+1

+1000 You are absolutely right that once you start processing through inserts that in some cases exporting loops won’t work perfectly , Though and my workflow has not been as complicated as you mentioned. When using to render in place to render down Events and make sure loops work without processing before final exporting. This is a great idea that Nuendo needs for sure. Nice one.

Things like this are why I chuckle when articles call Cubase the “most fully featured” DAW. In some aspects that’s true, but folks at Steinberg really don’t seem to understand convenience as a feature. I mean, it took them up to Cubase 12 to add export presets.

1 Like

Na, as a mac user record your tracks into logic, then hit bounce and check 2nd pass :rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

Not a Cubase/Nuendo user, but wanted to ask: has this still not been added as of Nuendo 12?

Literally all that’s stopping me jumping ship.

I don‘t do gameaudio, but would like this option too.
I often play my audio with windows mediaplayer or vlc-player in loop and recognize everytime a jump when using reverb at the end of a loop.

I have to extend my loops or do a fade out at the end of a track. That‘s anoying.

No it hasn’t.

If you work in games or similar I suggest Reaper is a faster solution.

Cmon Steinberg.

The more game audio work I do the closer I come to jumping ship completely to Reaper because of missing features like this.

Nuendo 13 is here—can you do second-pass rendering at last? This is a gaping hole for game audio like Ed said. It’s a pity, there’s a lot to love about Cubendo, but this is such a crucial aspect to a modern workflow.

Unless I’ve missed something, it’s still the same in Nuendo 13 as it was in Nuendo 12, sorry.

The fact that it’s 2024 and Cubase/Nuendo still don’t have a 2nd pass rendering feature is a bit ridiculous, seriously. Especially with Nuendo being marketed as this “final, ultimate, infinitely feature packed DAW solution for game audio!”.

I come from REAPER and while I get that the REAPER online cult might be annoying, I can’t help but agree with all the claims of its superiority.

1 Like