Rendering Multi-Output Virtual Instrument Questions

They appear for VSTi’s that are loaded in the rack. Press F11 on your keyboard or find “VST Instruments” in the Studio menu.
In the rack click on “Rack” and the arrow pointed down. That let’s you load a VSTi in the rack and will create tracks for its output channels in the Project window. Cubase will then prompt whether you want to have a midi track created for the rack instrument, click Yes

This was the old style of using VSTi’s before they added Instrument tracks. I always use the rack for multi-midi-channel and multi-audi-output VSTi’s. So much, that I never realized you get the output channels in the Project window only this way. Seems a bit odd now that I think about it.

I would be happy to see workflow improvements at any update that is released. I am not familiar with Studio One other than that I know the guys who started to create it but good ideas should be copied. The Cubase team has done that in the past as much as other DAW teams have copied from Cubase. This having said, Cubase is around for some 34 years now and to change workflow always bears the chance of alienating long term users.

Anyway - one general tipp: Where mixing desks and other DAW use “bus” Cubase uses “Group”. Where the others use “Aux channel” Cubase uses “Effect channel”.
Where others use Aux channels for making individual mixes Cubase uses the Control Room.

I may try the Rack way. With so much of my 1st template setup, I’m not sure I want to redo all the instruments. Will Racks allow saving presets with inserts, multi-outputs and routing?

Regarding improvements, I can see them not wanting to alienate long time users. But some things can be added as options. Racks vs Instrument Tracks, for example. Folks that like the old ways can continue using them. Folks willing to adapt for the sake of efficiency can do so.

Yeah, the track terminology was the 1st thing I had to get used to. The Control Room is great! I just have some things to figure out.

Hmmm… not really. There is an alternative way to using a track preset but it will get you only 70% of the way: you can import tracks from other projects.

It will present a dialog that lets you choose tracks and some other settings to be imported from another project. You can chose to also import the events and copy any media files to your current project folder.

HOWEVER, the rack will be empty. The VSTi will have to be loaded manually, additional outputs activated, sounds connected to new outputs and then the sends to be assigned.
Maybe somebody else knows a slick way of doing this?

Thanks! I think I’ll stick with Instrument Tracks. I used to do the master project thing, importing tracks as needed before Studio One fixed their presets. I prefer having everything I need in a template.

Silly question. How are you all quoting? I see the quote in the menu after I initiate a response, but it just adds a “blockquote” thing. What am I missing?

Thanks again! That’s definitely a Cubase way of quoting. :rofl: