Rendering with Audio Input Plugin

WL7.11

When rendering using the Audio Input plugin it appears that the “Render ASIO input to file” dialog is ignored. When set to “Create named file”, an Untitled wave file is created. Also, when “File Format” is set to 44.1kHz-32bit, the resultant file is truncated to 24bit (and created as a 24bit file). Using the same File Format in the recording dialog will record a 32bit file.

BW

Quad Core PC
XP SP3

You pinpoint an anomaly I was not aware of.
Do a “Save as” to fix it.
For the bit depth, if you uncheck “Named file”, you’ll get the same file format as specified in the preferences, for temp audio file (32 bit float by default). Just checked.

In the best of worlds I would like to save the output as 32 bit fixed point (which the record dialog supports). But, for now, unchecking “Create Named File” will help.

Thank You,

BW

PG,

I’ve been unable to get the 32 Bit Float files, even with “Create named file” unchecked – still get 24 Bit. I assume by preferences you mean Audio File editing preferences – definitely says Create 32bit float temporary files.

The bit meter indicates that the output of the Master Section is definitely 32bit.

Any ideas what I’m doing wrong?

Thanks,
BW

You say:

I’ve been unable to get the 32 Bit Float files, even with “Create named file” unchecked

Then

The bit meter indicates that the output of the Master Section is definitely 32bit.

This is contracditory. But this is normal from my POV: 32 bit in Bit meter means 32 bit float.

What I am saying is that when I hit the stop button (to stop the rendering/recording), the untitled wave file that appears in the wave window is 24 bit, and plays back that way. DURING the rendering/recording (assuming I have 32 bit plugins inserted in the master section), the bit meter indicates 32 bit.

Another (small) bug (with the ASIO Audio Input plugin) is that a wave file or montage must already be open in order to activate “play” – even with the ASIO Audio Input plugin in the first slot. This is not the case in WL6.

Thanks,

BW

What I am saying is that when I hit the stop button (to stop the rendering/recording), the untitled wave file that appears in the wave window is 24 bit, and plays back that way. DURING the rendering/recording (assuming I have 32 bit plugins inserted in the master section), the bit meter indicates 32 bit.

If you record without plugins, the audio samples are 24 bit because they come unprocessed from your audio card. This is normal. If you record with plugins, the audio samples are 32 bit float because they are processed after your audio card.
Now, the fact that the untitled wave file appears as 24 bit (label) is a bit misleading, I admit. But the underlying file, not yet saved, is 32 bit float.

Then, when playing back the untitled wave file (after removing the plugins from the Master Section), why does the bit meter only show 24 bits? Even after saving as a named file to 32 bit float, it still plays back as 24 bit (which is to be expected unless it is modified in some way).

BW

Then, when playing back the untitled wave file (after removing the plugins from the Master Section), why does the bit meter only show 24 bits?

This is normal if the file was recorded without plugins. Else it’s 32 bit. Just checked it (Render with plugins, remove the plugin, play and look at the bit meter).

Philippe

Not for me. I get a 24 bit file no matter what I do (preferences - create 32 bit float temporary) render WITH 32 bit plugins, remove plugins, plays back as 24 bit (on bit meter). What am I doing wrong? On the same machine with the same audio card, I get 32 bit files in WL6.