Reordering the VSTi instruments in the Rack

I agree! VST list needs a revamp… Also we need the ability to color code it…

3 Likes

x-actly

1 Like

+1
Yes please, please please pleeeeease!!! It´s sooooo annoying!!

1 Like

+1. Also, please, allow us to color the instruments in the rack, with an option to follow the color of the corresponding channels in the Project and Mixer windows.

2 Likes

+1

And here are 13+ more characters because it wouldn’t let me post unless the message was at least 15 characters which meant “+1” didn’t work

1 Like

A thousand percent ditto.

If you are working with orchestral projects you want the order of your rack instruments to match the order of your track folders that link to them. Many use more rack instruments and tracks than me, but I want everything in score order. I can do this with my track folders and tracks. I can do this with the subfolders of the VST Instruments folder in the main project panel. But I cannot do this in the VST instrument panel.

Doesn’t make sense to have to scan randomly through 13 VST rack instruments for the one I want.

The minimum needed is a simple drag and drop reorder capability to organize our work and streamline our workflow. If Steinberg does work on this, it would be even more helpful if they add folder capability to the Rack instrument panel, but that would just be icing on the cake.

3 Likes

+1

So, I can basically score a film, do incredibly complex things, but not drag and drop a VSTi? Still not over this. Also, it just messes up the organisation which is so important in big orchestral templates.

2 Likes

Yes, I’m finding the incapability of doing this kind of odd too
…I’m putting a large template together now and want to reorder 2 VST’s to match score order in the right zone but cannot. This functionality would be super helpful!

1 Like

I’d really like that feature, hurt my eye not to have VST instrument tracks in order I would want. The only way to rearrange instruments I could come up with, is to duplicate track then delete original, and copy made will have its instrument track created at the bottom, in the last spot, of the right zone.

1 Like

+1 This really wasn’t fixed in 12?

While at it, add folder structure. E.g. Spitfire’s BBCSO demands you to create a separate instance for each orchestral instrument, and with both solo and ensemble versions, that makes over 40 BBCSO VSTis alone.

2 Likes

I guess this forum isn’t monitored.
It’s been 3 and a half years since the OP started this thread and there have been huge modifications and additions to the main application, but the rack is still unsortable.

I get it, maybe it’s something very difficult to do? It might be nice though if someone from Steinberg would chime in with some comment… good or bad news.

3 Likes

Frustration mounts… As an additional note, I’m a coder… I’m sure it’s currently a lookup table between various graphics elements and their respective functionalities… so how hard is it to inject a redirect table? NOT HARD… I do that sort of thing all the time… I guess, either we are being ignored or the way it was programmed requires a full reprogramming that’s too much work for them to do.
Again, just a word from Steinberg, either way, would be nice.

1 Like

As a PT user, I’m really trying to move to CB to compose with and finding it difficult with quirky little things like this that haven’t been addressed in what looks like an embarrassingly long time. (This is my 2nd post in as many days. Folks have been complaining about that problem since 2012)

I’m creating my orchestra template and wanted to reorder the VSTI’s (to keep a large template under control) and did discover something helpful.

You can rename the VSTi and your midi channels will adjust accordingly, as least making it a little easier to sort since we seemly can’t reorder them.

I’m in the exact same boat as JohnVH-Composer, i am also trying to switch over to Cubase from another DAW and to be honest I was more than a little surprised that there didn’t seem to be any way to rearrange the VSTi’s in the rack. It’s not a dealbreaker, but it is something annoying enough that warrants me to create an account for this forum page to leave this comment. Steinberg, please let us rearrange instruments in the rack, it may seem like just a little quality of life update but it could make creating templates and scores so much easier to manage!!

I have gotten indications (but never a confirmation) that large portions of the Cubase code base is antiquated and not particularly object oriented or interfaced and I believe there is a long term incentive to rectify that. I’m guessing before that happens, no one wants to add functions to a big bowl of spaghetti code. But this is all speculations from my side, based on hints and clues.

Unfortunately Steinberg staff rarely chimes in on the Cubase forums in contrast to some of the other product forums by Steinberg. Once in a blue moon they do and that is always appreciated.