Repeat ending lines and rehearsal marks

Is it normal for repeat ending lines to go above rehearsal marks. It’s hard to find examples as rehearsal marks are often eschewed in such cases, but it does not “read” well to have them placed like that in the few cases where they would be required. Rehearsal marks over repeat lines read a lot better.

I thought the same thing, and was going to make a post. But got busy searching for options in all of the menus.

Here is an example that I thought looked odd, and looked over many of the options and couldn’t find options that would fix this. I was unable to find anything dealing with this.
Screen Shot 2017-07-28 at 7.24.07 PM.png
Robby

It possibly would be better for rehearsal marks to go outside repeat endings, but I think tempos should go inside repeat endings, and tempos and rehearsal marks are positioned during the same phase at the moment so that they can be aligned with each other. Consequently rehearsal marks always go inside repeat endings.

Makes sense, Daniel.

Thanks for the info.

Robby

Understood. And I agree 100% about the tempo marks. Still, it is easier at this point - for me personally - to simply not use rehearsal marks in these circumstances as it’s somehow not as legible and is a bit fiddly to deal with in engrave mode.

I agree that it would be better if rehearsal letters were placed above repeat ending lines. A lot of the transcriptions I’m working on for one publishing project have forms where each section is played twice with repeat endings and each section also needs rehearsal markings, so this is coming up a lot for me.

Gould allows for both options.

"Tempo indications or rehearsal marks that coincide with first and second-time bars may be placed above or within the bracket, according to available space.

In Write mode-Suggest Cues there is a choice between Consider or Ignore…
What on earth does that mean? I tried clicking on both and didn’t see any results. According to the help I should use this option in the engrave mode, but…there is no sign of rehearsal marks .
I upgraded yesterday to Dorico 3.5.12.1066 and I’m a newby at this…
In the Set up- Layout Options- Staves and Systems ther is nothing about rehearsal marks to be found

Sorry, @Addy_Scheele, I’m not exactly sure what problem you’re having. Options for the staves on which rehearsal marks appear can be found in Layout Options on the Staves and Systems page. If that’s not what you’re looking for, please post again with more details.

Thank you for trying to help. I found the way to put in rehearsal marks (contr A) But can’t figure out what is meant by consider/ignore in the Create Cue tab. But this is probably more relevant when I have some more experiences with Dorico…so for now I’ll leave the question.

Ah, I see. Basically it’s allowing you to choose whether Dorico should treat a rehearsal mark as if it is already a cue, because rehearsal marks can fulfill some of the same duties as a cue when helping a player to orientate him/herself during a rehearsal or performance. If you “consider” a rehearsal mark, then Dorico will count that as an entry for the purposes of recommending locations for a cue.