Repeat Endings translation into German

Repeat Endings are literally translated as “Wiederholungsenden” in the German Dorico version, but as far as I know the usual expression is “Voltenklammern”.

Interesting. I’m using them, but haven’t really paid attention to the translated text.

I just had a look in the german translation of “Behind Bars” from Elaine Gould and there it is also just “Voltenklammern” and not “Wiederholungsenden”.

To be honest, I feel much more compfortable with the term “Wiederholungsenden”.
Now, one could obviously make a point for using the more academically correct term, but I personally would keep it at it is.

May be an alias or something like that would be nice, in case you type “Voltenklammer” in the jump bar it brings you to the correct dialog.

The search index in the online documentation has the term linked and it brings you to the chapter “Wiederholungsenden”, so at least they can be found.

1 Like

+1 for leaving it the way it is at the moment. Voltenklammer is correct, but no one uses this term in “normal” musical context. Wiederholungsklammer, Wiederholungsende or just Klammer are terms, which are used widely.

A comparable case would be Versetzungszeichen, which is the correct term, but normally people are just talking about Vorzeichen in every case.
@Lillie_Harris ,perhaps Versetzungszeichen could be added in the index.

“Voltenklammer” is, at least here in Switzerland, the usual term among musicians. Also in the german Wikipedia article about repeat signs it says: “Voltenklammern (auch: Klammer, Haus) werden eingesetzt, wenn ein Takt oder mehrere am Ende des Wiederholungsteils nach erfolgter Wiederholung übersprungen bzw. durch einen abweichenden Takt ersetzt werden sollen.” [Voltenklammern (also: brace, house) are used when a measure or several at the end of the repeat part are to be skipped or replaced by a deviating measure after the repeat has been made.] There is no mention of “Wiederholungsenden” anywhere. There are more important things, but at least it would be good if the term was recognized in Jump Bar, which is not the case now.

Due to the way our documentation is written and translated, we can’t easily and permanently add extra bits of information just in one language. We can only practically add either text only for English, or for English and all languages.

However, I can pass this on to our German translator and see whether it might be possible to add the term in even just one place somewhere in the German manual, so it at least shows up in online search results. I can’t make any promises on the latter front, though.

1 Like