Repeat symbols in notation?

Hi folks,
I’m trying to figure out how within notation to have a four measure phrase repeat 8 times. I can’t figure out how to really use the repeat symbol, and I don’t se the symbol that I’m used to. Only the ./. and .//. looking ones.

Right now I am hiding all the extra measures and just writing with text “repeat 8 times” any help would be appreciated!

Couple of questions :wink:
What is the symbol that you are used to seeing?
Are you expecting the presence of this symbol make Cubase actually repeat those bars (i.e. an “active” symbol)?
By “Hiding” the extra bars, do you mean that those bars are present but empty?
There are of course Repeat Start and End Barlines (just double-click on the barline, to choose the options), available with or without brackets. But these are purely graphical…
Unless you use the project window’s Arranger track (The Score Editor has its own “Arranger” mode, but, personally, I avoid this, because it can conflict with the one in the Project window, if you try to use the two together, and, for example, it can make a Repeat section active, but only for a single repeat :slight_smile: ). You’d still have to write “Repeat 8 times” though :wink:

Thanks for the questions. I’ll try and answer them here:

What is the symbol that you are used to seeing?

For my needs, the :neutral_face:| looking one would be best. I would put ||: and then four measures and then :neutral_face:| I could then put text “x8” to say doing it 8 times.

By “Hiding” the extra bars, do you mean that those bars are present but empty?

No. They are present and full, but I hid them in notation with the “H”.

There are of course Repeat Start and End Barlines (just double-click on the barline, to choose the options), available with or without brackets. But these are purely graphical…

This may do what I need-I knew I had seen them before but I didn’t see them in the symbol choices and couldn’t figure out where they were…

This is purly for Notation purposes-I don’t want to use arrange in the main project for this, so I think your mention of the repeat bars will work. Thanks!

(it’s funny how the forum insists on interpreting what we write into smilies :stuck_out_tongue:. Fortunately, when I clicked on “Quote”, I was able to see what you had actually written )… for those still questioning, the" :neutral_face:|" was intended to be the “: ||” symbol… so, yes indeed, those are the standard repeat barlines).

Since this thread became online in this forum, Steinberg did not improve the possibilities with repeats in the score editor in Cubase. And that is a pitty. Or maybe they did and I just don’t see it? Don’t get me wrong… I think the score possibilities in Cubase are already terrific: even though I don’t read scores/notes myself, they make me succeed in making scores for those who can! But here is room for improvement. Now I just don’t use the repeat symbols out of fear to mess up the whole score. Resulting in unnessecary long scores…

There have been many improvements in the past 6 years, quite dramatic ones, imo.

What precisely is the problem you are having?

1 Like

Well… When you open a good sounding midi track in the score editor with ctrl R and then choose the right instrument/transposition/preset for it, phases in the part that are in fact repeated, are shown still linear in the score. So repeat signs are nor added automaticly. And when you add them yourself, the “connection” with the song structure in the project gets, let’s say’ lost, like described in the original messages in this thread. Since artificial intelligence is getting more common by the day, hopefully that might offer a solution for issues like this. But as mentioned: I am not complaining :slight_smile: