Repeatable Crash with MOTU 828mkii

still getting this error in 7.01 as detailed in

http://forum.cubase.net/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=1027854

PS - merry christmas to those that celibrate it…

I have an 828mkII and WL 7.0.1 on Windows … what version drivers are you using, and are you on Mac or Windows?

all detailed in that link to the old forum

You do know of course those are unsupported versions of everything? All I can tell you is that the latest driver version for the 828MkII on Windows 7 x64 works flawlessly. Buffer size is generally not important in WaveLab.

CONFIRMED.

It being the season of goodwill and all that, I dusted off an old image with Windows XP SP3, Wavelab 6 and the MOTU 828MkII driver version 3.6.7.4, got everything working OK (which first required installing eLicenser in order that my WL7 license was seen by WL6, and the eLC in turn required .NET 2.0), installed WaveLab 7 fresh on it, installed the 7.0.1 update and started it up.

In order to reproduce the problem, all I need to do is run WaveLab 7.0.1, select Options / Audio streaming settings where MOTU Audio ASIO is already selected, click Control Panel (at which point the MOTU Audio Console appears). In that version there was still a Cancel button, so without making any changes I click that (or OK, it doesn’t matter) and a few seconds later, WaveLab 7 quits without warning; there’s no error message, and nothing recorded in the Windows Event Log on Windows.

The same test done with WaveLab 6 on the same machine does not exhibit this problem.

Whereas I understand the logic of not changing a winning combination, I don’t know if it’s fair to expect PG to fix a problem which exists only on an unsupported OS with an old driver version; but perhaps WL7 shouldn’t quit without warning regardless of the problem, and at least offer a means to gracefully exit?

I would strongly recommed considering moving to Windows 7 as my experience has been only positive so far (and yes, IMHO Vista was an unmitigated disaster, for which Microsoft should apologise publicly!).

Thanks for doing that mrsoundman.

I use windows7 daily for other stuff but not for the audio pc - there are plenty of reasons for me not to use it I’m afraid - not least the extra latency from the post 3.6.7.4 (win7) motu FW/usb drivers (they added an extra software buffer to allow for mkiii hardware). I play v-drums with mine, triggering software kits the difference is very noticible.

I’ll move to win7 when I eventually ditch the motu stuff. Apart from the current W7 crash (which is no big deal), I’ve no issues at all with winxp - 100% stable on my system.

— see here for the latency issue
http://forum.c-ockos.com/showthread.php?t=38982
http://forum.c-ockos.com/showthread.php?t=19905

edit - I notice that Steinberg has censored the word c-o-c-k-os !!! so remove the hypen in the links for it to work

One alternative you might want to consider is to fit an E-MU 1010 card and connect to the MOTU via ADAT. The E-MU drivers are quite good and you can pick up the 1010 card for a song these days. I did something similar with an RME RayDAT, and although that’s a lot more expensive, the drivers are rock solid on all OS versions I’ve used.

if only it was as simple as that !

On that system I’ve two 828mkii. Connected to them are an ada8000 via adat-1 (gives me about 30 analog outs) plus an eventide eclipse via adat-2 - plus a lexicon pcm91 via spdif-1 and a pod xt pro via spdif-2 - all clocked by an eventide big ben.

This works beautifully under xp32 and at some point I’ll replace the 828s with fireface800 - it’s a pain as it means stripping down the rack and rewiring the patchbays - I certainly won’t be changing them for this little wavelab issue.

thanks for the suggestion anyway.

Sounds like perfect fit for the RME RayDAT. You could route your Pod and PCM91 into the S/PDIF in on the 828MkIIs, and send the 828MkII’s into the RME via ADAT, also the ADA8000 – if fact, that’s very similar to what I do. I’m not familiar with the Eclipse but if it has an ADAT out, you’ll still have a fourth ADAT in on the RayDAT. Furthermore, if you get the WCM module with the RayDAT you’ll also still be able to clock everything from the Big Ben.

That’s a pretty future-proof setup in that you can still expand with additional RayDATs and add any I/O you fancy via ADAT. Each RayDAT also offers independent S/PDIF and AES as well as a pair of MIDIs.

Best of all, you can use the wonderful TotalMix to route everything to pretty much everything else, and as I say, RME drivers are absolutley rock-solid and after years of messing with different cards and drivers, I never want to use anything else.