Replace missing file from a VST Sound pack, possible?

Hey there guys, I’m working on a track that uses a few samples from the Bloom VST Sound set that comes with Cubase.

When Preparing Archive, I didn’t realise that Cubase would also copy content from the VST Sound packs to my project. I have since saved many versions of my project with the local file being referenced.

Is there any way at all to point Cubase to the WAV file inside the VST Sound set and delete the copy in my Audio folder of the project?

I honestly don’t know the answer to your question.

But I think many experienced studio cats would actually prefer to have a copy of the used samples in the project archive, so it has a better chance of still working regardless of the soundpacks installed on a future machine.

The advice you hear a lot from those very experienced studio pro’s goes even further: “print all your audio” - meaning that you’d render all of the VST instruments and at least the more unique fx plugins to straight audio before archiving .

So if the need should arise to remix your project 10 or 15 years down the road, when many of your plugins have changed, you aren’t hopelessly stuck.

A long term archive is most effective, when the basic audio tracks can be loaded into an entirely different environment than they were originally recorded in.

1 Like

Thanks so much, I absolutely do agree with you. However, I’m planning to sell this project as part of a tutorial series and was hoping to avoid any copyright dramas by embedding Steinberg content in the project I’m distributing.

In the end, I had to hack away at it with a binary editor and got it all fixed, but it was a struggle to say the least.

I actually don’t think it is possible to switch a sample to a vstsound://… path currently, so it’s a one way decision if you Prepare Archive with VST Sound content included.

Huge thanks for the reply and apologies it took me so long to get back to you, I didn’t get an email notification strangely. Really appreciate your time and help! :slight_smile:

1 Like