Replace Selected Range

Not sure that’s expected behavior, but that’s the way it is in wavelab 9.5 and wavelab 10 on my system. Where the flashing playback cursor is makes no difference when dragging in a file.

And the same in wavelab 7

My mistake, in W10 it doesn’t take 2 clicks but1 extra click to get to the Windows file management. Naming a file can be faster in W10 but if you need to see and select an older file you will need to go to the Windows system. The Wavelab 10 window is too small and can only show about 20 characters. Most of the time all the files names are the same with three dot after them. (see picture: W10 Naming Window). This is why I need to go the extra step to see all the full titles and be to sort them as necessary.
Now in W5 when I rendered the file a floating wave window appears on the scree. I just have to grab it and drop it in the selected range to replace.
In W10 the fastest way I found was to grab the new file from the File Browser that I would have to always leave open and drag it into the montage to “Overwrite from cursor”. (Bob99 I tried your way and it didn’t replace the selected area. it pasted it somewhere else.)
PG, on your screenshot “Replace Selected Range” is not grayed out. The only way I can get that option is when I copy and paste. I cannot copy from the File Browser so I would need to open the new wave file, copy and paste it to replace selected range. That’s still way too many steps.
Will that help if I send a short video of what I am trying to do with the old Wavelab? Not sure I can post it here? I am willing to compromise on many fronts but I feel that editing like that is such a common thing that W10 should provide a way to do it.
It is not rare that I have to process 30 small sections in a song. In the old days with Sonic Solution it was very tedious, but once I discovered Wavelab I was sold, and until now I have a lot of compliment about my work. Not sure I can provide the same speed and work flow with W10? (at least for the editing part).

Can I suggest something? Would you consider implementing an idea in a future version? I wouldn’t mind working with a beta version either. I have some experience and I don’t mind working with a beta software. In the mid 90"s I helped Studer beta-testing the Dyaxis II. I was on staff at Sear Sound NY.
Anyway thank you again for your help and let me know what is possible.
-Fred.

Not sure why you get such a tiny popup. No problem here. What is your screen resolution?

Also, I don’t recommend to go to the Export page of the File Tab. Instead, do your rendering from the Render tab of the ribbon. This is faster.

Thank you, I will check it out as well as my screen resolution a little bit later today. For now I have the W10 on a small temporary screen to practice. Maybe this is my problem? I hope it is, that will be such an easy fix.
Thanks again Philippe. -F.

The other thing i realized is that if I highlight a region to be “selected” by dragging my cursor from right to left ( instead of normally L > R ) my cursor will already be set on the left side of the selected range. Then I can “replace from cursor” without having to move it. I just have to get used to it. But I still don’t understand why is “Replace Selected Range” is greyed out when I try to drag a file from the File Browser into the montage. As I mentioned before the only way this function is available, it is when I copy and paste an audio file in the montage. Not for drag and drop. Is this normal?
Thanks. -F.

It’s normal in the respect that it’s how it’s been since at least Wavelab 7, which is a long time, but like you, I don’t understand why “Replace Selected Range” is greyed when dragging, or why it couldn’t be added, unless there’s a case it wouldn’t work correctly.

I don’t know why you’re getting different result from me when dragging with playback cursor anywhere. For me, dragging to selection left yellow popup arrow, release, select overwrite from cursor (assuming the “cursor” is the yellow arrow/dotted line, not the playback cursor) works perfectly every time for me to do what you need, no matter where the playback cursor is. That’s what I get anyway. If that means what it’s doing for me (not overwriting from playback cursor) is not correct, then that’s another issue.

But if select from right to left works for you, then of course that works too.

I still don’t understand why is “Replace Selected Range” is greyed out when I try to drag a file from the File Browser into the montage.

This possibility is not implemented. It was the same in WaveLab 5.
(I just tried with WaveLab 6, and I guess this was the same with WaveLab 5).

Thanks Philippe, sorry to bug you with this. But in W5 when I render a file it opens as a floating wave file that I can grab (with the pink dot) and drag it in the montage and “Replace Selected Range”. That is what I was referring to. It’s quick and efficient. I understand I should probably not try to compare to an old version of Wavelab. But I liked it very much and developed my work flow around it for the past 15years! I guess I will try to adapt instead of trying to work the same way.
P.S. my screen resolution is 1280 × 1024. Is that a problem for displaying some of the “Render” window?

Thank you again for your help. / Merci pour tout.

-Fred Kevorkian / Kevorkian Mastering.

Bob66 thank you for your response. I will play with it a bit more. Maybe there are some setting preferences that might change the outcome of how the edit is done. Really appreciate your time and explanation.
I will keep you posted as I get more familiar with W10.
I think I should develop a new way to work instead of trying to duplicate the past. Thanks again.
-Fred.

So do you think a screen resolution of 1280 x 1024 can affect the size of the render window to the point to make it unusable? I don’t really have a better monitor to check at the moment. Thank you. -F.

I would never use such a small screen for WaveLab. This can’t serve you well.

What is a good screen resolution for W10? The one I have now is just to practice it is not in the studio yet. What do you recommend?
Thank you. -F.

What do you recommend?

My screen :wink:
2560 x 1440 and 30 inch.

In any case, nothing below 1920 x 1080

Very well Philippe. I will keep this in mind for when I set up my new room early next year.
Thank you again for following up. -Fred.