Report after 1 year with HALion 6

• “MIDI channel follows track selection” doesn’t select the right program slot, when the HALion GUI was closed and reopened with a different MIDI track selection in Cubase (HALion 5 did it right). As long as HALion 6 stays opened, slot selection works right.

• UI boundaries between horizontal areas are changing their position after saving/reloading

• setting the octave/coarse parameters in layer settings sometimes leads to shifted multisamples zones (only audible, not viewable in the zone map)

• samples in loop mode sometimes stop playing before repeating the loop phase

• macro page: hard crash when adding a node in curve editor (basic controls.xml)

• parameter “grain formant” is still missing from the grain oscillator editor page (there would be place for it next to the duration section)

I’ve checked this with various Cubase and HALion versions but couldn’t find a case were it works as expected. Anyway! I’m able to reproduce the issue here. Its now in our Defect-Tracking-System and listed as Bug-ID “HALLY-7327”.
I hope we can provide a fix for it soon.

For the rest of the issues reported above I need more details. At least Cubase version, HALion version, were will something be saved/reloaded (Cubase project, Standalone, Sub-preset,…).
Especially helpful could be small presets that show the behaviour described above, because there are so many circumstances that could have an influence.

• parameter “grain formant” is still missing from the grain oscillator editor page (there would be place for it next to the duration section)

It was never meant to be part of the grain oscillator editor page, this is by design.

best regards
Gerrit Junge

FEATURE REQUEST!

I would love this feature to work as “MIDI Channel follows MIDI Detection” as well. I love this feature but it does not work when I host HALion in VE PRO. It would be so useful if there was an option to have this feature work with just MIDI data as an option.

Regarding “MIDI channel follows track selection”:
This one is REALLY annoying when multitracking with Cubase. You always have to close Halion (because it still cannot reside in lower panel) and when you reopen it the wrong channel has the focus, which often leads to mistaken editings.

Even two Halion updates later it doesn’t work. BUT: I installed the latest version of HalionSonicSE and there IT WORKS CORRECTLY! So HalionSonicSE can do something important that Halion can’t???!!

• “MIDI channel follows track selection” now works as expected since H6.2.10. Thank you for that one!

• Macro page: hard crash when adding a node in curve editor
    Test: just load the demo file “basic controls.xml” from developer.steinberg.help, select curve editor in macro page, double click the curve to insert a point - hard crash!

• octave/coarse parameters in layer settings:
    from time to time some (not all) multisample zones are inaudible after setting these parameters (e.g. octave +1, all other layer settings at initial state). If I then set the parameter back to zero, all zones are audible again. This occurs inconstantly, so it is impossible to reproduce it with a demo preset. It may occur in standalone mode as well as in Plugin mode, isolated or not, no memory bottlenecks (also happens with very small multisample sets). The function is rather simple: just a MIDI note offset - so with this description in mind, maybe the devs could have a look at the regarding code - there must be something wrong anyhow.

• Samples in loop mode stop playing
    Like with the octave/coarse parameters: impossible to reproduce on a regular base. In any case it concerns bidirectional loops with crossfades. From time to time such samples stop playing before repeating the loop phase.

• Grain formant parameter

But what is the deal not having such an important parameter at hand? I would always expect the complete parameter set within the internal editor, whereas macro pages offer reduced parameter sets.

Hi Fantacyzer,

Macro page: hard crash when adding a node in curve editor

I’m able to reproduce it here. Its now in our Defect-Tracking-System and listed as Bug-ID “HALLY-7787”.
I hope we can provide a fix for it soon.

octave/coarse parameters in layer settings

So far I’m not able to reproduce it here, but it would be very helpful to get an example to get an idea of the structure of the program.

Samples in loop mode stop playing

Same here. So far I’m not able to reproduce it.

Thanks for your reports and please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused.
Gerrit Junge