Repurposing CMC series devices as MIDI controllers

here ya go it looks like this (pointing at it)…

Hi ! for my FD (and soon CH), i use a usb Hub who have a turn on/off button for EACH PORT. it’s the only solution. i could point to ama*on the one i’m using but don’t know if we’re allowed to do this here. it’s a 4 usb 3.0 hub plugged in an another 2.0 hub (my computer is 5 meters away from me, and only usb 2.0 have very long cable, not usb 3.0). so i turn on each CMC and turn off like that !

your picture is cool ! i must find same paper to label each button, it’s look so nice !

i’m searching desesperatly a CMC PD. didn’t found one yet :frowning:. i use the clip shipped with the CMC to keep them together. work pretty well. don’t know what a plastic U shped trim is, i’ll look into it (my english is not that good !).

Now i’m trying to make the FD to work as it would with CMC application but without it ! not easy ! i don’t know how to send from cubase, the position of the fader in the mixer to the FD ! Don’t know if it’s possible, or if only the CMC application make this possible. time to read the manual of C9 Pro… :frowning:

Martyprod, I wonder what’s different in our setups? When I turn on my hub with Cubase running, the CMC-FDs and CMC-TP that are plugged in to it are not seen by Cubase.

Good question !!! Would love to have it not recognized when turned on in cubase !! we have the same Pro cubase 9 version ! (0.20).
i use the last CMC firmware and last usb midi driver and last CMC application (for now i removed it).

that would be cool to know how you do it to have it not recognized after cubase started running, so i don’t need anymore to try to understand how to reprogram everything lol !

Partial answer !

i have 2 FD !

2xFD turned on before cubase = both are seen normally in cubase as CMC controler.
2xFD turned off and once cubase is launch i start the 2xFD, the first one is launched in FD CMC normal mode.
only the second one stay disconnected !

in the Midi port : i don’t know why, but the first one has Midi “active”, and the second one has “Inactive” Midi !
normally both of them AFTER cubase, they must be inactive, but i don’t know why, the first one is active, and not the second one.

Still better than having the 2 FD seen as active :smiley: at least, i can use one with Bome ! :slight_smile:.

it is white electrical tape that i have cut into slices to fit. Sticks. easy to write on with black sharpie pen.

i am pointing at the plastic u shaped trim in the pic, along the top of the CMCs connecting them together!

you need to turn on your CMCs before you start Cubase. It only scans for them when it boots. You cant turn on CMCs in the middle of a session and expect Cubase to see it!

i can film you cubase, with the both FD turned off, and when cubase is ready, i turn them on, and you’ll see that the first one is seen by cubase, and it will add it to the list of the controler ! (sorry i don’t know the english of this) but not the second one !

i think you are just lucky Marty. They are not meant to work like this. I assume the second one is seen when you close and restart Cubase tho?

(Also try changing the order of the CMC USB plugs in your hub. It might auto-sense the first plug location but not the rest.)

yes, thanks for the tip ! i’ll try to find this ! very useful ! especially as soon i’ll receive my CH :slight_smile: !

well, i’ll call it “unlucky” lol, as i want both to not be seen by cubase ahah.

that’s possible !! i try it immediatly !

ok here are the result :
i launch cubase with FD (both) turned off. i turn both of them at the same time when cubase is ready. result ? both are seen as CMC controler with their CMC application. both !
i close cubase, completly. i turn off the two FD ! i launch again cubase. and now i turn the FIRST FD module only. cubase see it again as a CMC FD ! i turn the second one, and it does not see the second one ! he just add it in the list of midi input and ouptut !

so the key is maybe to do not turn off them at the same time (my hub has a switch on/off for EACH USB PORT).
at least one work as a CMC and the other one as a midi controler.

but anyway didn’t succeded yet to have both seen as midi controller and none as FD !

I don’t want Cubase to see the CMC-FDs.

i don’t want too !! :frowning: no idea why it see them at least one. maybe it’s related to the hub ? it’s an usb 3.0 hub switch, this one :

https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B00JX1ZS5O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

then just remove them from the list of installed controllers in Cubase Setup

Devices/Device Setup/ Remote Devices list

But they repopulate each startup. Please read the thread to understand what we’re talking about.

at each startup, like steve said, they come back ! so each time you launch cubase, it’s there and you must remove it. after a while it’s so boring that i give up, and just keep them at what they are made for ! Fader for the mix console ! :smiley:.
it’s unfortunate that we can’t de activate the new feature of cubase pro 9 to recognize any midi device turned ON after cubase launch. it’s a great feature, but in this case, it’s not that good !

ok i understand now. there must be a way to stop them from re-populating. I must admit i havent tried to do what you want ive always struggled to make sure they DO turn up in the list (faulty USB lead, faulty usb hub, faulty USB hub power supply, faulty USb port…it never ends), ive never wanted them to be missing@

there would have to be one of the Cubase ini files somewhere that you could hack to block them. Someone smarter than me might know how to do it and where?

to be honest steve i started this thread for another reason as you can see from the Subject line…so telling me to go read my own thread is a bit un-necessary. You should start a separate thread explaining this problem youre having for sure! Maybe then more ppl will see it and be able to help?

Right now I have it not working precisely the way I want! :wink: I have a switched USB hub, plugged into a USB 2 port, with 2 FDs and a TP. As long as I start Cubase with the hub turned off they don’t show up in the Device Setup.

The CMC driver seems to override everything else, which makes sense- the connection is robust and dependable, as designed.

Blackout, you’re right about the hijack. - my apologies. I’ve split the thread in two.

all good steve i just noticed you are a mod whoops apologies for trying to tell you the rules! hehe

i use a 2x USB switch box before my little hub. It looks like this:

so i just use one of the ports. The second one is dead. Ie “off”. So i just pop on and off all 4 of my CMCs with one switch on the edge of my desk :slight_smile:

:laughing: :stuck_out_tongue: You have the right to make a citizen’s arrest. :confused:

i use a 2x USB switch box before my little hub. It looks like this:

usb switch.JPG

so i just use one of the ports. The second one is dead. Ie “off”. So i just pop on and off all 4 of my CMCs with one switch on the edge of my desk > :slight_smile:

That’s basically same as me
20170807_171605.jpg