REQUEST: Clip or Region to MIDI Note Playback

There are MANY of us who actively use WaveLab for Sample Library creation, specifically instruments creation.

We would love to be able to assign Regions (Edit Mode) or Clips (Montage) to specific MIDI notes for quick previews, to see how they work chromatically, test interplay of drum sounds and similar. This was possible in the now abandoned old Mac program Wave Editor by Audiofile Engineering and it was a lovely thing to have.

Please, pleeeease, PG :stuck_out_tongue:

Do you mean to play with a sound pitch shifted, according to the midi note? Or just to trigger playback of file X from midinote Y, because X was “tagged” as Y?

Preferably a mix of both. The use case for my request is purely from a sample instrument library creation perspective (for HALion and company). Since WaveLab has already taken some steps towards that end (eg. with the Sample Attributes Window, pitch detection, Looping facility and more), I think this idea fits pretty nicely into that concept.

Example scenario :

• You have an audiofile containing different takes/pitches from a recorded instrument. Each take/pitch is put into their own region.
  • You assign a region to a MIDI root key/nr (perhaps via Marker menu).
  • If you play that key on your MIDI keyboard, the sound is played back normally in its original pitch.
  • If you play higher or lower keys, the sound is pitched up/down accordingly (maybe in simple draft quality for performance purposes).
  • If you have assigned more than one region to MIDI keys, sounds will be pitched up/down until you reach the next/previous MIDI root key-assigned region!

The real golden nugget lies in that last point. I think this would blow up the whole industry :slight_smile:

• If you have assigned more than one region to MIDI keys, sounds will be pitched up/down until you reach the next/previous MIDI root key-assigned region!

Please explains again.

He means that

if Region 1 is assigned C1

and Region 2 is assigned to G3

Region 1 will automatically be mapped up to F#3

Yes, something like this sketch (see attachment). I’ve color-coded things a bit to illustrate the general idea. :slight_smile:

Thanks for taking the time to explain. It’s an interesting concept…