Request: lyrics note extender behaviour

Very small request…
If I use shift-alt-arrow to extend a note that has a lyric with an extension line, the extension line remains even if the lyric ends up as attached to only one note.

Added to this…
I’m using lock duration to turn (e.g.) a soprano part into an alto part. If the alto part ends up with two (or more) identical notes tied together, it would be nice if these would turn into a single note, as happens everywhere else in Dorico.

Either you’ve got two notes slurred together (not tied) or you’ve got tied notes that were originally input with forced durations, I believe.

Pianoleo, yes you’re right, slurred (not tied). I’ve copied a soprano line without forced durations, used lock durations to change the notes. If I end up with two or more notes the same, they are slurred together. The fact that they’re slurred rather than tied is why Dorico keeps them separate. But from the point of view of a composer or singer, it would be nice if Dorico could spot this and change it (Obviously you could use forced durations if you did need the slurs between identical notes).

There’s talk of an explode/reduce function (List of features still to implement and known bugs - #11 by dspreadbury - Dorico - Steinberg Forums) for the future, which would hopefully go some way to solving this problem.

What I’m doing is simpler, I think than that.
(Off the subject: Pianoleo, is there a shortcut to move a note but leave the original in place too? I can’t find one.)

You can alt-click the note… It will copy it. [Edit] Well it doesn’t, sorry :wink:

I mean, if i have a C, is there a way to alt-arrow the note to move it, but also to leave the original note?

R (for repeat) and then alt-arrow that note?

I’m doing a terrible job of explaining myself. I thought it might be a quick way to build chords.

Hit Q and type note names? Or use Shift-I? I’m afraid I’ve rarely used either for input as I’m a pro pianist and a MIDI keyboard’s so much quicker!

Shift-I works pretty well. Also a pro pianist…MIDI entry definitely better, but I like working on my laptop when I have spare seconds.

I suspect Q is probably quicker if you’re used to building chords bottom to top.

Well, shift-I can be very useful if you notice same interval patterns through the chords you need to enter… 3,5 for fundamental state, 3,6 for first inversion (sorry, I don’t know the accurate word) and 4, 6 for the second. Just cmd click the notes that have the same pattern and it should be pretty fast.
Sorry about my first solution, it really does not work in Dorico ! :wink:

“Inversion” is correct English, for “fundamental” the conventional English is “root” :slight_smile:

Thanks Pianoleo ! I learn something new every day :slight_smile:

We do talk about fundamentals too, but generally it refers to the lowest note in the harmonic series.

Shift-I is great as you can input specific intervals above and below.